cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Agent Handler confusion

I've been reading through the Agent Handler (AH) documentation, when and why they should be used however I'm still a little confused.

For this new deployment we are definitely looking at the benefits that the AH provides for failover and future scalability.

Here is the scenario -

• currently 1000 user client base and 50+ managed servers
  • 5 geographically dispersed sites
  • smallest number of users at one site is 100
  • slowest WAN link is 8 Mbps
  • deployment of the Total Endpoint Protection or Endpoint Protection Advanced suite
  • deployment of Groupwise for Exchange
  • product suite very likely to extend in the future

We were planning an AH deployment in each site with a distributed repository. Some concerns around this -

• Is this overkill?
  • Should the AH role be deployed to a server already performing a function (i.e. file/print)?
  • Is the WAN speed sufficient? (doco suggests - each agent handler needs a relatively high speed, low latency connection to the database)
  • Does an AH take the place of a Super Agent in terms of agent wake-up calls?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Message was edited by: jerry28 on 03/11/10 19:23:44 CDT
3 Replies
mjmurra
Level 12
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 4

Re: Agent Handler confusion

This is overkill. It is not what AH's are designed for, and may cause issues on your site.

1000 nodes is a tiny environment based on what EPO can support. Instead, I believe you should be using SuperAgents to do what you're thinking of.

If it helps, I have a 10K node site, with only one EPO server and one AH. The AH is solely used for DMZ management of clients, and nothing else.

McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 3 of 4

I agree with this completely: AHs are overkill, and a simpler distributed repository model would suit this environment much better, I feel.

HTH -

Joe

Following McAfee specs an AH (so ePO also) can support up to 50.000 nodes depending on the hardware