cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Agent 4 locking out domain account during update task?

We just recently upgraded to agent 4 SP1 and I'm having problems with a few workstations locking out the domain account we use to run our McAfee environment. The problem has been isolated to three workstations so far, but every time the managed auto-update task runs it locks the domain account out which is getting very annoying.

Support has no idea why this is occurring, so I'm hoping the user community has seen or heard of this before. We have about 1750 other clients that are working just fine. It started off as one client on Tuesday of last week, then it was two clients by Friday, and now it's three clients today.

Everything between all three machines is exactly the same. This is an ePO 4 SP3 environment - workstations are all running VSE 8.5 patch 6.
13 Replies

RE: Agent 4 locking out domain account during update task?

Anyone? sad

I'd redeploy the agent to the problem machines - sounds like they've somehow got the wrong account credentials.

Jim

Already tried that and it didn't help. Also, if they had the wrong credentials the agent wouldn't have installed in the first place.

Doesn't help you much but what you've said is not strictly true - you have the option to supply authentication credentials whn you push an agent out to a client - the credentials used for clinet to server communication are different and set up when you create the agent package on the ePO server.

Jim

Yes that's true, but the credentials used in that framework package install were used on about 800 other machines and we've never had a problem. Basically we have about 1785 machines behaving perfectly and four that are not.

And there's no chance that anyone else has created a new deployment package ? - and yes I know it sounds paranoid....

Have you actually deployed the current agent package to a client recently and had it update properly without issue ?

Jim

Well there are only five people that have access to create the package and I sit right next to them all - and none of them ever log into the McAfee console because they're all busy with their own applications and projects. I'm basically a one man McAfee shop here. I'd say three out of the five of them don't even know how to log in.

Nothing wrong with well placed paranoia, that just means you're security minded - or at least that's what I always tell myself.

I haven't recently deployed the package to any machines, but even assuming that the credentials were wrong from the get go - that issue should have been resolved when I re-installed/re-pushed the framework from the console. On top of that, agent to server communications work just fine 24/7 - the only exception to this is when a newly created auto-update task runs every three hours. That task is what is generating my lockouts and I can't figure out why for the life of me.

O.K. - you trusting guy you Smiley Very HappySmiley Wink

...so do all the "problem" clients use the same repository ? and do you force repository authentication ?

Jim

The first two clients that were causing this problem were from the same repository, so my immediate reaction was that there was a problem out at that site either from a virus in their environment or an issue with that repository. The next two clients that became problems were from two other sites with their own repositories.

I event went as far as to force an uninstall of the agent from one of the machines and then re-push from the console and it's still happening. The crazy thing is that I'm 99.9% sure that if I disabled this auto-update task that I created, this problem would go away.