cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Agent 4.5 and VSE 8.7 remote deployment through VPN??

Hi again!
Afraid I need more help

I got all the PCs on our internal domain network upgraded successfully.

However we have anumber of remote PCs connected via VPN but NOT attached to the domain. They are on differen IP and subnets etc.

Is itpossible to remotely roll out the Agent 4.5 and VSE 8.7 to these PCs?

When they were originally setup the agent was installed manually onto the PCs, but they do then communicate and update successfully with our current EPO 3.6 server.

By their nature a manul install again would be very difficult.

The main stumbling block I am getting is the  credentials to install the agent.

It insists on Domain, User and Password but as the PCs are not on the domain I am unsure of to put here. I tried the local PC name along with the local admin user on each PC but I get a login error on username or password in the server tasks log.

All the PCs to be updated have fixed IP addresses if this is of any help.

Andrew

7 Replies
GWIRT
Level 12
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 8

Re: Agent 4.5 and VSE 8.7 remote deployment through VPN??

If all the machines have an identical local account like "administrator", you can push the agent using the account .\administrator (replacing the domain with a ".").

I tried this:

Domain: .

Username: administrator

Password: as set

It still comes back as: Failed to authenticate with remote system, system error: Logon failure: unknown  user name or bad password.

The user credentials wok fine directly on the PC I am testing this against.

Any other thoughts?

I can possibly get the agent manually out to the PCs as a file but I assume it will still need full admin rights to install? The remote users only have power user privileges.

Andrew

GWIRT
Level 12
Message 4 of 8

Does the push work if you supply the machine name as the domain?

Sorry for delayed reply.

No that produces the same error also. Even checked to make sure Windows Firewall was off even.

Think I might have to resort to manual installs on each PC...

The PCs can obviously pull from the old EPO as they update but something seems to stop the push working from the new one.

I have tested the new agent on a vpn PC and once installed it does pull without issues.

GWIRT
Level 12
Message 6 of 8

If that is failing then ePO can't write to the ADMIN$ share on the client or write the service key to install the agent. This could be a permissions issue or remote registry is disabled.

Thank you.

This gives me something to go on as I had found as a seperate 'issue' I could not map to the c$ share on this test machine across the vpn.

Need to check then whether it is jsu this one PC or a problem elsewhere. I had not put the two issues together!

No idea why i cannot access the share. The PC is a completely standard XP Pro install, with firewall turned OFF. One admin user for IT and one power user for anyone else.

It is not on our domain - obviously, but I should still be able to access the c$ from a domain PC, such as my own networked PC or the epo server?

Just to let you know I got this working.

The problem is/was the remote machines with XP have simple file sharing enabled which apparently changes how authentication works to the admin$ and c$ shares.

If it is switched off the epo sees and pushes the agent etc no problems.

More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community