cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Agent 4.0.3 Not checking properties back in

I recently downloaded and rolled out to users Patch 3 of the McAfee Agent Version 4.0 (now 1494).

This was done via a deployment task and has worked for all users.

However, for newly built machines, whether I try and deploy the new agent either through ePO or via a Framepkg.exe, the agent installs but then won't communicate any product information back to the ePO server.

However, it will still pick up the DAT updates from the Distributed Repository and install them ok!!

Has anyone else had issues with new agent deployments for 1494 on clients not reporting back any product details?

It doesn't actually show the agent shield in the Sys Tray but brings it up if you do the cmdagent.exe /s cmd line. I've tried removing and cleaning all related folders and registry and trying again but to no avail.

If you run a Send and Collect Props on the client machines, it states "Failed to upload package to ePO server"
9 Replies

RE: Agent 4.0.3 Not checking properties back in

I can't get any kind of Agent installation to work now with McAfee Agent 4.0.3

Either by deployment or a framepkg.exe.

Looking through the logs, it seems to be an issue with the supplied credentials (same as we've used with previous agents).

2009-10-19 14:34:58 E #2008 Setup Ins Error trace:
2009-10-19 14:34:58 E #2008 Thread Ins [Main thread]->
2009-10-19 14:34:58 E #2008 Setup Ins [Attempting to perform a setup operation]->
2009-10-19 14:34:58 E #2008 Setup Ins [Restarting with supplied credentials]->
2009-10-19 14:34:58 E #2008 Setup Ins Failed CreateProcessWithLogonW(), error 3

I downloaded the Patch 3 Embedded Credentials and Checked that package in ok.

Anyone any ideas please as I can't push out any new machines? Thanks in advance.

I can only get an Agent installed if I create a framepkg.exe with no credentials.

Then, when you do a Collect and Send Props, it just states "FAILED TO UPLOAD PACKAGE TO THE EPO SERVER" and ePolicy just shows the machine name with no product details linked to it.
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 10

The embedded credential install failure sounds like you may have been trying to run the package from a mapped drive - that can cause this error. You can work round it by running it from the equivalent UNC share - see KB article 67026 for more details.

If you can get the agent installed, however, then it should be able to talk to the server. It sounds like it is unable to communicate, possibly due to a security key issue. If you check the agent_<machinename>.log on the client machine it may give more details into the reason for the failure.

HTH -

Joe

Joe,

Many thanks, this is now closed as a thread - you diagnosed the problem as part of my ePO problem where the MSDE database had reached it's maximum size so I had to remove a load of logs and old products in order to get it working.

Now these clients are uploading their status and able to get DAT download ok.
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 10

Two birds with one stone Smiley Happy

Just out of interest, when you got the "CreateProcessWithLogonW(), error 3" error with the embedded credential package - were you trying to install from a mapped drive? If there's another cause of this error I'd be interested in finding out what it is...

Thanks -

Joe

I was having problems installing from a mapped drive but also Deploying through ePO itself so I think the space issue was having a major effect on that also as I can now deploy in exactly the same way as before and it's working - the space issue is the only thing that was changed.

I've never had an issue installing a Framepkg.exe from a mapped drive before - it's our common way of starting new machines out.
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 8 of 10

Do you usually use embedded packages, though? Or the standard framepkg?

Standard packages should work fine from mapped drives - but MA4 / 4.5 embedded credential packages should fail...

Joe

I've been using the embedded packages since 4.0.2 and they have been working ok from a mapped drive.
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 10 of 10

Thanks, good to know Smiley Happy

Regards -

Joe