Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rict
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 4

Access Protection & VMware?

I have a question that doesn't seem to be addressed in the docs.

We have many VMware virtual computers that are running as servers. I treat them basically the same as other ePO clients, in terms of policies, depending on what department/group I put them in.

However, we just had a problem with one that isn't something I had noticed before...on one of the virtual servers, we were getting nearly 99% CPU utilization while that server was not busy. Well, it turns out that the Access Protection Properties tab on that server has an entry I had not noticed before: "Virtual Machine Protection". This allows you to Block or Report on any modification to the VMware program & settings, similar to the Access Protection Rules on the ePO server allows you to Block or Report any modification to the McAfee program & settings...

But, the Virtual Machine Protection settings only reside on the clients, not on the ePO server, at least as far as I can find.

Does this mean that to change these settings on all our VMware clients, I need to go to each individual client and make those changes? Tell me it ain't so!

rict
3 Replies

RE: Access Protection & VMware?

If you are using ePO 4.0 you just need to check the latest VSE extension into the server and you will find the VMWare options under VirusScan
rict
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 3 of 4

We've checked in the package for patch 8, but for some reason the server won't check in the extension packages; keeps telling me:
"Package missing required pkgcatalog.z file "

rict

Never mind; I got it. Was trying to check in incorrectly.

For checking the extension package you have to go to Config->Extensions->add new extension