cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 EPO Servers

Question chaps

Is it possible to have a second EPO server

I currently run one on the domain on as a hadware server

I wish to create a second one, upgrading the version in the process, with a clean new database, this one will be virtual at a different site

I do not want an immediate switch over but to transfer site by site from old to new, (40 different sites)

At no point would I be able to have any downtime 

I am pretty new to EPO so any help would be gratefully received

Cheers

Campo

9 Replies
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 10

Re: 2 EPO Servers

Yes, you can run as many epo servers as desired to keep networks or other grouping segregated.  Depending on the number of clients the virtual server will be servicing, please check the best practices guide for some guidelines on using VM's for epo - PD26432

Many thanks

I will be pushing 4000 clients over a period of time to the new VM EPO

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 10

That should be no problem.  Just be sure to allocate enough resources.  ePO requires a minimum of 8g ram, but that is available ram.  Depending on if sql will be on the same server or different (highly recommend different), and the products you are using, memory, or rather lack of it, could potentially be a problem.  I would recommend a minimum of 24-32G ram for that many clients.  If sql is going to be on the same box, there are some other considerations regarding memory.

Many thanks

I will have the SQL on a seperate VM on the same piece of tin

mattw2
Level 10
Message 6 of 10

the actual migrating of Agents from "old" server to "new" server, you would be wise to consider the Transfer System that ePO has.

This involves linking your two servers, which then allows you to select computers to transfer to the other server.

In the ePO 5.9.0 product guide its covered in the chapter on "Using the System Tree and Tags".

Matt W.

undrstr
Level 9
Message 7 of 10

It is possible to run two different ePO servers at the same time.  It was on the slate for me last year, I just had too much red tape to get through first. 

What you will need to remember is that they each need to connect to a database.  If they are on seperate networks, the second one will need to either have access to the current database or have its own.  I would set it up with its own, and then import a copy of the current database, if poossible.  The new ePO will also have its own ID for the Agent and its information will need to be recorded for the future when the managed devices are migrated over to the new database and ePO server. 

Just a few tips to start with.

Cheers for the tips 

I think I need to add more info

currently running a 2008 domain going to a 2016, 

both EPO servers will be on the same domain, 2008 on Hardware, 2016 will be virtual at a diffent site and gateway

So at each site in turn the servers will be new hardware and upgraded to 2016

uplift to windows 10 will be ongoing  on the clients

as clients are uplifted to Windows 10 they will be pushed onto the new EPO server, hence a site by site transfer

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 9 of 10

I don't see any problem with that.

Well I cracked on and went for it

I now have 2 servers running side by side and the 2016 side is off at a canter

All is well, many thanks for the assistance people