cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tag-based client tasks do not initiate

Jump to solution
Product Deployment tasks that are set to run immediately based off of having a tag applied to a system do not initiate. I see no notable errors when checking the orion.log, no corrupted extensions, no mis-configured client tasks, and nothing out of the ordinary in SQL.
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 14 of 20

Re: tag-based client tasks do not initiate

Jump to solution

I looked at the mer and screenshots you sent, thanks.  The client did receive the task and ran it successfully.  According to the mer, it is running patch 11.  However, the mer shows the 5.0.6.220 version.  So, it should be showing in epo that it has patch 11.

2018-09-12 10:29:01 I #4692 Setup Ins Installing version=5.0.6.220

One thing to note from your task screenshot.  Patch 11 will go out that way for systems with no VSE, but to install the patch on any existing VSE previous versions, you need to check in just the patch without the full install and set up an update task for that.  Patches go out through updates, full installs with deployments.  VSE doesn't care what patch level is installed already when a full version attempts to run setup.  It will see VSE installed and exit. 

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

View solution in original post

Jump to solution

The solution you suggested which involves giving the sysadmin server role to the ePO's SQL account was able to resolve my issue.

View solution in original post

19 Replies
cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 20

Jump to solution

What version of the agent?  Does the masvc log on the client show it getting the task and invoking it?

c:\programdata\mcafee\agent\logs is the location for that log.  If it invokes, then the mcscript log (if update or deployment) will show the status of the task and any errors with repositories, etc.  If mcscript log looks good until it executes the setup for a deployment, then you would look at product install logs.

There are some scheduling and service crashing issues in the agent fixed in the latest 5.0.6 hotfix and 5.5.1, so it all depends on what you are trying to run and versions.  There is also an issue where msiexec crashes with 5.5.1 agent and ens deployments.  That is an ens issue that is being worked on in development.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Jump to solution

I'm currently running McAfee Agent 5.0.6.220 for Windows. I did not see the tag-based client task in the masvc log at all, so it never got to the task scheduler or got invoked. It is as if the ePO doesn't recognize the tag that is applied to the system, so the client task never runs. 

cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 20

Jump to solution

I would suggest trying ma 5.5.1 or open ticket with support for latest hotfix for 5.0.6.  That version of the agent is notorious for the agent process crashing and a lot of scheduling issues.

Was my reply helpful?

Jump to solution

I put in a request to get the latest hotfix for MA 5.0.6. Once I deployed it to a test system, I removed the tag, re-applied the tag, and woke the system up. The test system never received the task, as I did not see the task in the Agent Status Monitor and the masvc log. I even built a query on the ePO server itself to see if the client task ran with a tag applied. No joy.

cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 20

Jump to solution

private message me your case number please and upload a mer to it from that test client, along with the name of the task to look for.  Also show screenshots of the task settings so we can validate what to look for.  I will take a look at it then.

Was my reply helpful?

tamal005
Level 7
Message 7 of 20

Jump to solution
Hi
Once the tag is applied a wake up call is needed to work.
willtest
Level 9
Message 8 of 20

Jump to solution

"Once the tag is applied a wake up call is needed to work."

Or just wait for the normal agent to server communication to get the new tag-based task, correct?

We have been experiencing a lot of problems with Agent Wake up tasks failing so I am tempted to take away the ability of our various junior admins to run them.

cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 9 of 20

Jump to solution

Correct, a wakeup call is not required for them to get a task.  They will get it at next asci.  The things you want to look at is to make sure the tags are indeed applied and that there are no other tags applied that might be applied that maybe have a "don't run this task if this tag is applied" scenario.  You can look at the masvc log on the client to see if it received the task or not.  That will show errors and whether it invoked it or not.  It might be possible that it is getting the task, but it is failing, or there are issues with the agent as mentioned before, where it isn't even invoking it.  All that takes some log analysis, so if you are unable to determine why it is failing, you might want to open a ticket with McAfee.  Logs contain sensitive company information, which is why we prefer you open a case rather than post them publicly.

Was my reply helpful?

willtest
Level 9
Message 10 of 20

Jump to solution

Do Tag-based software installation tasks lock one of the 250 data channels until completion the same as deploying using "Run Client Task Now" and WakeupAgent Now method locks them?

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community