cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
m0chi87
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 5

"Failed to authenticate with remote system, system error: The network path was not found."

Jump to solution

Before I start, I'm aware this is a commonly asked question; however I read through several of the posts and none of them have resolved the issue for me. I have included the troubleshooting steps from those posts in my notes below.

I am attempting to deploy McAfee Agent from ePO 5.3.1 to a virtual server, and after 6 attempts, I am still receiving the "Failed to authenticate with remote system, system error: The network path was not found." error. Below are the troubleshooting steps I've taken. Please note I refer to the server I'm trying to deploy the Agent to as "targetserver" and it is running Windows Server 2019.

• Verified Windows Defender Firewall is off.
  • Went into ePO Server Settings > Agent Contact Method and prioritized IP over FQDN.
  • Verified TCP/IP settings are correct on targetserver, including the DNS server IPs.
  • Verified targetserver is on correct VLAN and using correct NIC type (VMXNET3).
  • Verified targetserver has internet access.
  • Verified targetsever is on the desired domain.
  • Cannot perform "nslookup targetserver" from ePO server due to lack of trust between the domains that ePO server and targetserver are on.
  • Can perform "nslookup targetserver" from another server on same domain as targetserver; returns correct DNS server, DNS server IP, targetserver name, and targetserver IP.
  • Cannot path to \\targetsever\admin$ from ePO server because targetserver exists on a different domain than ePO server, and there is no trust between the domains. However, I have verified that other servers on the same domain as targetserver were able to successfully receive the Agent, as they are listed in the System Tree with Product Versions of both Agent and VirusScan Enterprise, despite not being able to path to the Admin$ share for those servers either.
  • Verified the targetserver name is typed correctly in the Agent deployment form.
  • Attempted Agent deployment with targetserverdomain\Admin and eposerverdomain\Admin accounts.
  • Connected to targetserver with targetserverdomain\Admin account via RDP and retried Agent deployment.

I took over McAfee Agent deployment for another IT Engineer when he left, and while he shared some of his knowledge, I am having to learn a lot on my own. Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks,

Aaron

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 5

Re: "Failed to authenticate with remote system, system error: The network path was not found.&q

Jump to solution

If you can't get to the admin$ of the target system by name, try adding the system as an IP address and push that way using the targetdomain\admin user format.  Before doing so, check this kb for some environmental requirements that need to be in place.

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB56386

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

View solution in original post

4 Replies
cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 5

Re: "Failed to authenticate with remote system, system error: The network path was not found.&q

Jump to solution

If you can't get to the admin$ of the target system by name, try adding the system as an IP address and push that way using the targetdomain\admin user format.  Before doing so, check this kb for some environmental requirements that need to be in place.

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB56386

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

View solution in original post

m0chi87
Level 7
Message 3 of 5

Re: "Failed to authenticate with remote system, system error: The network path was not found.&a

Jump to solution
Deploying using IP instead of server name seems to have worked. Just one follow up question: is there any way to rename the System Name? Having a list of server names and an IP address is not ideal. However, it that's what it takes, I'm willing to deal with having to do an nslookup each time I look at the ePO Agent list.
cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 5

Re: "Failed to authenticate with remote system, system error: The network path was not found.&a

Jump to solution

You don't have to rename it.  When the agent checks in, it will add an entry under its node name.  Once it does, you can delete the IP entry.

Was my reply helpful?

cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 5

Jump to solution

If you don't see an entry yet for the system name, then check the masvc log on the client for any communication failures.

c:\programdata\mcafee\agent\logs.

Was my reply helpful?

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community