cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

offline install of epo - Software Manager not updating

Hi,

I am doing a offline install of epo, I have got the repo copied in from commonupdates, but I can't get the software manager to update.

How do i get the software part to get updated? I know there is a server task trigger this, but I don't know where this goes to, and if i can piont to somewhere locally.

Can anyone shed any light on this please?

thanks

Pete

5 Replies
cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 6

Re: offline install of epo - Software Manager not updating

It has to go to epo.mcafee.com - there is no offline place it can go to for this.  The software that shows then, when it connects to the McAfee site, is associated to what entitlements your grant is tied to.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 3 of 6

This is not an unusual scenario.  In cases like this, you have to manually download software from the McAfee download site or another epo server and check it into this one manually.  If you need updates, such as dats, etc., you can either set up a mirror task in VSE or ENS on a system that has Internet access to use as a source site, or follow KB82581 to update from another epo server in your environment.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

HI,

Thanks, I have a copy of the common updater which seems to being read ok, but I'm not getting anything recongised to pull in the DAT files for the system.

If I go down the epo route as per KB82581 will this also pull over the licensing details back to the mcafee website or will i still need to give my EPO_B as per the kb access to the internet to get this registration?

So epo_A talks to the mcafee website, and epo_B gets the info from epo_A, will this info be feed down?
Or is it pully just a copy of the commonupdater repo again?

Pete

Hem
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 6

If you have one ePO server with internet then please run server task 'Download Software Product List'. Once task completed then please copy two files 1-licensed_products_list.xml and 2-trial_products_list.xml (C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\DB) and paste to second ePO.

After replacing the files, please restart ePO services on second node.

Software manager categories products based on these two files only and download from epo.mcafee.com as a result of Download Software Product List'

cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 6

In a scenario where server b doesn't have access to the internet, no matter what you do the software manager won't be functional, as you won't be able to download software from it.  That doesn't work like a source site for the master repository does, it has to have a connection to epo.mcafee.com.

As for setting up epo a as a source site, here is how that would work.  You would first need to import the master repository key from epo a to epo b so that clients will be able to decrypt the catalog and use the content.

When epo A pulls from mcafee commonupdater site, it adds that content to its master repository and all the license validation is done at that time.

When epo B pulls from epo A, it is pulling from its master repository that same content that epo A pulled from McAfee site.  McAfee doesn't know about epo B and doesn't care about its licensing because it validated already through epo A.  Epo B doesn't need access to the internet in any way, then, just access to epo A.  As far as epo B knows, epo A is the same as the commonupdater site.

Was my reply helpful?

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community