cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ipv6 address displayed in epo computer property instead of ipv4

Hi,

In ePO-> System Tree-> client property-> ip address, some clients' ip address displayed as a ipv6 address, any explanations for this? thank in advance.

6 Replies
cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 7

Re: ipv6 address displayed in epo computer property instead of ipv4

The IP address that the agent gives to epo as its IP property is obtained by the OS, so whatever the OS tells the agent, is what it returns.  If you aren't using ipv6 in your environment and don't want to see it, you would need to disable ipv6 in your environment.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Hi @cdinet thanks, could you let me know, technically, how agent obtain the system ip address? using wmic or just the sysinfo or something else.

My customer told after agent's first communication, the ip addr is a ipv4 format addr, but later it changed to an ipv6 format.

The version they using is 5.5.1, I'm also going to ask them to upgrade agent version to try...

aguevara
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 7

Hello User21257322

This is provided by the OS based on the IP priorities set, this is explained on the article below:

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB53169

"McAfee Agent can't be bound to a specific IP address if the computers on which the agent is installed has multiple IP addresses. The Agent binds to the first available IP address provided by the operating system."

Regards

Alejandro

There only have one NIC in my customer environment. the NIC have both ipv4 and ipv6 enabled, but looks like agent only retrieves the ipv6 address and send to epo, in epo> system tree> computer property> ip address, I can only see the ipv6 address... 

cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 7

Again, we have no control over what the OS reports.  If you don't want IPV6 ip's reported, then you would need to disable IPV6 in your environment.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Hmm, guess I will need to look up some microsoft documents to figure this out... thanks again.

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community