cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ip address for System Name has changed and EPO can't connect

Jump to solution
Our pcs are on DHCP and the ip address can change on a re-boot. How do I get the EPO to communicate to the new ip address for policy updates?
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: ip address for System Name has changed and EPO can't connect

Jump to solution

I was actually able to update to the new agent and the system updated immediately.  Thank you for your assistance in this matter.

View solution in original post

15 Replies
YashT
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 16

Jump to solution

Hello @User64044111 

There is an option to change the agent communication method.

EPO> Menu > Server Settings> Agent Contact Method.

Keep IP address in last position, so from next time agent will be communicating to EPO based on FQDN or Netbios name, once connected it will update its information to new IP address.

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! l Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thanks and regards,
Yash T
YashT
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 3 of 16

Jump to solution

Hello @User64044111 ,

One More thing I want to add here:  

If the ip is changed then it will be automatically updated when the client systems communicates to EPO.

If we are doing a wake up agent then only we have to make changes to server settings in agent communication method because that determines the priority of methods that the McAfee ePO server will use when attempting to contact a McAfee Agent (applies to Push Agent, Agent Wakeup, and Show Agent Log actions).

Client will be communicating with EPO with their Agent guide and Epo server information.

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! l Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thanks and regards,
Yash T
cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 16

Jump to solution

As @YashT pointed out, you really don't need to do anything.  The agents will report their new IP on next asci.  You don't need to do wakeups either to get them to report it, they will communicate on their scheduled asci interval.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Jump to solution

The information provided is exactly  how the system is set up, and yet the agent is still not connecting to my pc and updating the ip address in the EPO system.   

cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 16

Jump to solution

That isn't a dhcp problem then, but an agent communication issue.  See KB90603 for how to troubleshoot agent-server communication issues.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Jump to solution

Thank you.  I did find that the pc name had been changed.  I started a new task with the new name of the pc and I am watching for the completion status to change.  So far 0%.  

cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 8 of 16

Jump to solution

What type of task?  Does the new system name show up in epo?

Was my reply helpful?

Jump to solution

I selected new system and used the correct name of my pc.   Then I did a new deployment to my correct pc name.  In reading other cases, I see I did not do a Force Update.  My deployment is still at 0%.

cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 10 of 16

Jump to solution

What specifically are you deploying?  If the agent is failing to communicate, that run client task now type thing won't work, as it can't send a response back to epo.  You need to first fix the communication failures.  If the agent was communicating properly, you shouldn't have to add the system to the system tree by new name, it should add itself on next asci.

Was my reply helpful?

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community