cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

install mcafee agent on esxi 6.5 server

hello, i was given the impression by a co-worker i could install the general mcafee agent we use for our linux servers on the esxi server, but i got the error message like "this software must be installed on a linux server" when running the sh install.sh -i command. is there a specific package i would need instead? thank you.
5 Replies
cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 6

Re: install mcafee agent on esxi 6.5 server

Are you following the instructions in the MA install guide and using the correct package?

https://docs.mcafee.com/bundle/agent-5.6.x-installation-guide/page/GUID-7F039BF1-7326-42B3-A32D-023C...

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

finally got some time to have the ops engineer (I dont' have access to do the install/troubleshooting myself) attempt the install again while sharing his screen with me, and this is also the output he sent of the session. it seems to not be recognized as Linux. is there a different package to try installing that I am not aware of for ESXi servers?

[root@ACF115:/vmfs/volumes/53c7b208-2860ea0b-4fdc-9cb654932e28/ISO's/Test] ls -l
total 187392
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root      94604963 Oct  2  2020 agentPackages.zip
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root      44397968 Oct  2 14:00 install.sh
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root      25653383 Oct  2 14:00 installdeb.sh
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root      24751047 Oct  2 14:00 installrpm.sh

[root@ACF115:/vmfs/volumes/53c7b208-2860ea0b-4fdc-9cb654932e28/ISO's/Test] chmod +x install*
[root@ACF115:/vmfs/volumes/53c7b208-2860ea0b-4fdc-9cb654932e28/ISO's/Test] sh install.sh -i
This package must be installed on Linux Platform.
Aborting installation.
[root@ACF115:/vmfs/volumes/53c7b208-2860ea0b-4fdc-9cb654932e28/ISO's/Test] uname -a
VMkernel ACF115.itsc.hhs-itsc.local 6.5.0 #1 SMP Release build-16576891 Jul 15 2020 04:26:47 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 ESXi
[root@ACF115:/vmfs/volumes/53c7b208-2860ea0b-4fdc-9cb654932e28/ISO's/Test]

cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 6

That's because it isn't a Linux platform.  Sorry, I didn't look up the underlying operating system when you first asked.  There is no need to install any agent on it, as there really is no operating system.

VMkernel

VMware ESXi is an operating system-independent hypervisor based on the VMkernel operating system that interfaces with agents that run on top of it. ESXi stands for Elastic Sky X Integrated. ESXi is a type-1 hypervisor, meaning it runs directly on system hardware without the need for an operating system (OS).

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Ok I guess maybe I was given the wrong impression from a different co-worker that it was possible. here's a snippet of the ticket he had opened previously before I got tasked with this.

>This is regarding your recent service request # 4-21174873451 logged with McAfee Technical >Support.

>My name is Benson and I have taken ownership of this Service Request for further assistance.

>Issue - McAFee agent on ESX 6.5

>Yes MA is supported on ESX

>Virtual Platforms MA
>5.x.x
>Citrix XenDesktop Yes
>Citrix XenServer Yes
>ESX Yes
>VMware Workstation Yes
>VMware Player Yes
>VMware Server Yes
>Windows Server Hyper-V Yes

>Supported platforms for McAfee Agent 5.x : https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?>page=content&id=KB51573

>Yes, you could use the standard Linux TP engine. If you would like to get more details on Endpoint >Threat prevention, You would have to create a ticket with them.

cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 6

In the virtual platforms section, it is referring to clients that may be a virtual instance.  For example, VMware workstation is just software and not an OS that anything can be installed on.  The esx underlying platform is not a Linux based OS, it is just a host for virtual systems with its own kernel, but not any type operating system for an agent to be installed on.

Was my reply helpful?

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community