cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ePO and database migration to a new domain

We need to build a new ePO to a new domain and migrate the existing database onto the new domain. We are planning on having the DB embedded with the ePO, as the environment on the organization is fairly small. What would be the best / recommended way on approaching this? We would like to minimize the event loss during the DB migration, but I am not fully sure if that is possible. All the help is very much welcome! Thank you in advance!
3 Replies
cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 4

Re: ePO and database migration to a new domain

What do you mean specifically by embed the db with epo?  You mean use the same database?  Please clarify exactly what you need to do.  KB68427 tells how to move the database to a different server and you can use the snapshot recovery to migrate epo to new environment.  The problem you may run into is pointing your clients to the migrated epo server, as most likely IP and name will change.  You can either reinstall agents or do some dns redirecting to point clients to it.  Make sure the new domain is accessible to those clients to reach epo.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

By embed, I mean that the ePO and the SQL will be on the same server. Right now we have them on different servers.

Thank you for the links, I will save them for later!

About moving the endpoints. Do you know if recreating the Apache certificate would be any use here?

cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 4

You will have to do that anyway on a restore most likely, but the problem is that the clients have a sitelist that contains old server/ip info.  Unless you have an agent handler that they can connect to that isn't changing, they would need to get the updated sitelist somehow.  Even if you do have an agent handler, you may need to regenerate cert on the ah after epo restore so ah cert is from new epo server.  It is a tricky process, so if you can keep one or the other the same, it is helpful.  Otherwise it might be easier to reinstall agents or set new published dns/IP info in the agent handler config for epo prior to migrating the epo server and ensuring clients check into get that updated info.  They will then fail to connect because that name doesn't exist yet, but they will have it for when epo is migrated.  There are several ways around the issue, some easier than others - especially depending on size of environment.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community