cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Member
Not applicable
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 11

ePO Web API Query: How to get the system serial number for each computer?

Jump to solution

Hi, 

Is there any way to get the computer's system serial number directly from ePO Web API query? We looked through the tables (including EPOComputerProperties table), but could not find any system serial number information listed. 

Any help would be really appreciated. 

Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 11

Re: ePO Web API Query: How to get the system serial number for each computer?

Jump to solution

Ok, thanks for clarification.  I created a simple query in epo for system name and serial number - here is where it gets that info from.

select [EPOLeafNode].[NodeName], [EPOComputerProperties].[SystemSerialNumber], [EPOLeafNode].[AutoID] from [EPOLeafNode] left join [EPOComputerProperties] on [EPOLeafNode].[AutoID] = [EPOComputerProperties].[ParentID] order by [EPOLeafNode].[NodeName] asc

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

View solution in original post

10 Replies
cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 11

Jump to solution

Are you referring to the serial number that is returned for the cpu?  If so, see KB92947.  The cpu serial number is only option in queries to pull any info on, so unless you have one of the below cpu's, that info is not available.

CPU Serial Number information can only be retrieved from a CPU, that included the Processor Serial Number (PSN). PSN is a unique, retrievable identification number that can only be read via the software CPUID instruction. 

NOTE: PSN needs to be enabled in the BIOS, for it to function.

Only the following Intel processors support the PSN feature:

• Pentium III Xeon
  • Mobile Pentium III
  • Pentium III processors

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 3 of 11

Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply! However, it is not the CPU serial number, it is the system's hardware serial number (for example, the serial number from Dell). We see it in the EPO UI dashboard, just don't know how to get the information from API call:

cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 11

Jump to solution

Ok, thanks for clarification.  I created a simple query in epo for system name and serial number - here is where it gets that info from.

select [EPOLeafNode].[NodeName], [EPOComputerProperties].[SystemSerialNumber], [EPOLeafNode].[AutoID] from [EPOLeafNode] left join [EPOComputerProperties] on [EPOLeafNode].[AutoID] = [EPOComputerProperties].[ParentID] order by [EPOLeafNode].[NodeName] asc

Was my reply helpful?

View solution in original post

cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 11

Jump to solution

Just as a side note, you can create queries in epo, save them, then view sql on the query to find syntax, table locations, etc, where epo pulls data from.  One thing to keep in mind, the api doesn't necessarily pull data from every table and every column in the table.  So you can try running just that simple query to see if the api will pull the desired data or not.

Was my reply helpful?

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 6 of 11

Jump to solution

This is helpful. We are looking at the EPOComputerProperties table too, but cannot find the SystemSerialNumber from the table schema. Do we need to request this field explicitly?

cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 11

Jump to solution

Yes you do - it is a column in the epocomputerpropertiesmt table.  Now one thing to also keep in mind.  The actual table name ends in MT, but it appears the query isn't using that.  EPO 5.10 uses views more than tables, so that query syntax I copied is looking at the view rather than the table.  However, it is also a valid column in the view.  See if explicitly listing the column helps.

Was my reply helpful?

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 8 of 11

Jump to solution

Explicitly listing the column works! Thanks much!

But we have two ePO endpoints, the other comes with an older version and does not have the serial number column. Will the query support something like "select EPOComputerProperties.*"? Then we don't need to list two different sets of columns for those two endpoints.

cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 9 of 11

Jump to solution

What agent extension version are you running on the older epo?  That available column may be related to that.  You could possibly run select * from epocomputerproperties to see if it returns that value, but if the column isn't available in the older epo, then it won't hold that data.  I am not sure when that available property was added.

Was my reply helpful?

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 10 of 11

Jump to solution

Thank you! We tried yesterday, looks like the web API does not support "select *" and the columns need to be explicitly listed in the select statement. We can probably adjust our codes for this. 

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community