cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ePO DB Sizing Question

Hello all!

My company recently purchased some additional products from McAfee, specifically DLP.   I was reading through the documentation and when it was talking about databse size considerations it said "Please see relavent sizing guide".    I initially started looking for a DLP specific sizing guide, and so far have been unable to find one,  However, I have found MANY other sizing guides related to the ePO DB when it comes to utilizing other products.   I know that DLP is managed through ePO so I had hoped to find one, so far no luck.   Does anyone know where I can find this? 

Thank you all for reading this, and thank you for your responses in advance!

Brian McGovern

6 Replies
Troja
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 7

Re: ePO DB Sizing Question

Hello,

if you are a customer, your McAfee partner should be able to calculate the size of a database. Such information is not available public.

Cheers

cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 3 of 7

Please refer to PD26432 for hardware/database sizing recommendations.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Troja
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 7

Good Morning,

i´m always interested for any information regarding database size calculation. In PD26432 is was not able to find a valid information for database size calculation.

Cheers

cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 7

Starting on page 18 in the guide it discusses hard disk size.  As far as specific database size, there are many factors that make up the size of the database.  Here are the most common.

1.  How many and what specific products you are managing.  Some send more events than others.

2.  What events are enabled/disabled under event filtering in server settings.

3.  What events are enabled/disabled for logging in policies - for example, VSE access protection rules - what is set to report or not.

4.  How many systems are being managed.

5.  How many client tasks run and frequency.

6.  Data retention - how often do you purge events and what is your retention period?  The more events you retain, obviously, the more space it will take up.

I am attaching the hardware sizing guide that is now migrated to the epo 5.x best practices guide.  It is no longer published for that reason.  However, it has some calculations for events, etc. that might be helpful.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Troja
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Hello ​,

yes you are right. I´m looking for a calculation where i know how much space needs one threat event in the database. With this information a calculation is easy to do. So, if you know this and you know the amount of events within the first week you can calculate the database size based on the timeline how long the customer will store the events.

Cheers

cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 7

Page 21 & 22 of the attached guide has that information.  Please keep in mind these are estimates and depending on the product, they could be larger or smaller. 

Was my reply helpful?

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community