Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 11 of 27

Re: ePO 5.10 Restore installation fails Failed to get a connection: Network error IOException

Hello,

Thanks for your response.

You can try to select the option restore from the snapshot but still at one point you need to enter the passphrase.

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! l Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 12 of 27

Re: ePO 5.10 Restore installation fails Failed to get a connection: Network error IOException

In this case if the restore keeps failing with the same error message, the DB with the snapshot alone wont be helpful, unless you have the correct Keystore Passphrase.

For future I recommend to take a copy of the Files/Folders from KB66616 + EPO Snapshot, so you have 2 different Backup you can restore from. (In case one does not work). 

Regarding the error message, you get: salt must be at least 128 bits

is different from the usual "opening zip file" if a wrong password is entered, very strange... 

How many characters does your Keystore Passphrase have? 

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thank You,

Siushan M.
Highlighted
Level 8
Message 13 of 27

Ok,

any chance that we can regenerate this keystore passphrase folder?! out of the DB data?

the password is 15 characters long, with capital/low/numbers and special character in it.

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 14 of 27

afaik, i am not aware of any steps.

I am assuming, If by chance you have ePO running on any other machine in that case you can go ahead and change the passphrase in server settings.

and have a fresh backup and start from the scratch.

If this is your primary server and you don't have the passphrase and backup available, In that case better idea would be to build new epo server from scratch.

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! l Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 15 of 27

Do you still have your old server up and running?  If so, you can reset the password there, take another snapshot recovery task, then back up the db after that runs again.  You can then restore using that new backup.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Highlighted
Level 8
Message 16 of 27

Hi,,

I do have the old server. Problem, the server got hit by a ransomware attack and all the McAfee folders were encrypted....

The SQL database is fine and I could backup and restore into a new server. The rest is garbage and I was looking for a recent backup of the files but I do not have.

it's really pitty that McAfee can't offer any sort of solution for disaster recovery with just the DB....

Anyway, I've learned it the hard way. it's what it is.

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 17 of 27

We do provide a way to restore with just the db, but it requires knowing the correct recovery passphrase.  If it was easily editable in the database, that would be a big security risk.  You can open a ticket with McAfee to see if they can assist to possibly reset the password on the fly while in the middle of the restore.  That can get a little tricky.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Highlighted
Level 8
Message 18 of 27

Hi folks,

silly question : I've agent handlers servers. Any chance that I can recover something out of them?

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 19 of 27

No, they are only agent handler and eventparser and doesn't do what epo does, as well as no browser interface (no tomcat).

Was my reply helpful?

Highlighted
Level 8
Message 20 of 27

FYI

ScreenShot2282.jpg

[dr-restore-server] com.mcafee.orion.dr.restore.StreamCrypto>> DEBUG enter StreamCrypto: decrypt::
[dr-restore-server] com.mcafee.orion.dr.restore.RestoreManipulator>> DEBUG enter RestoreManipulator: retrieveValueFromServerProperty::
[dr-restore-server] com.mcafee.orion.dr.restore.RestoreManipulator>> TRACE enter RestoreManipulator: getDatabase:
[dr-restore-server] com.mcafee.orion.dr.restore.RestoreManipulator>> TRACE exit RestoreManipulator: getDatabase:
[dr-restore-server] com.mcafee.orion.dr.restore.RestoreManipulator>> TRACE enter RestoreManipulator: getDatabase:
[dr-restore-server] com.mcafee.orion.dr.restore.RestoreManipulator>> TRACE exit RestoreManipulator: getDatabase:
[dr-restore-server] com.mcafee.orion.dr.restore.RestoreManipulator>> DEBUG exit RestoreManipulator: retrieveValueFromServerProperty:: value= ddddddchangedonpurpose==
[dr-restore-server] com.mcafee.orion.dr.restore.RestoreManipulator>> DEBUG enter RestoreManipulator: retrieveValueFromServerProperty::
[dr-restore-server] com.mcafee.orion.dr.restore.RestoreManipulator>> DEBUG exit RestoreManipulator: retrieveValueFromServerProperty:: value= ddddchanged=
[dr-restore-server] com.mcafee.orion.dr.restore.StreamCrypto>> ERROR! salt must be at least 128 bits
[dr-restore-server] com.mcafee.orion.dr.restore.StreamCrypto>> ERROR! StreamCrypto: decrypt:: salt must be at least 128 bits
[dr-restore-server] com.mcafee.orion.dr.restore.RestoreSnapshotServiceImpl>> ERROR! restoreKeystore StreamCrypto: decrypt:: salt must be at least 128 bits
[dr-restore-server] com.mcafee.orion.dr.restore.RestoreSnapshotServiceImpl>> FATAL ERROR!
[dr-restore-server] ----------------------------
[dr-restore-server] com.mcafee.orion.dr.restore.RestoreSnapshotServiceImpl>> FATAL ERROR!
[dr-restore-server] com.mcafee.orion.dr.restore.RestoreSnapshotServiceImpl>> FATAL ERROR! RestoreSnapshotServiceImpl: restoreServer:: Failed restore Keystore, restore failed (possibly wrong keystore password): salt must be at least 128 bits
[dr-restore-server] com.mcafee.orion.dr.restore.RestoreSnapshotServiceImpl>> ERROR! RestoreSnapshotServiceImpl: restoreServer:: com.mcafee.orion.dr.restore.DisasterRecoveryException: salt must be at least 128 bits
[dr-restore-server] com.mcafee.orion.dr.restore.RestoreServerCmd>> ERROR! ERROR! RestoreServerCmd: invoke:: Exception during execution of restoreServer= salt must be at least 128 bits
[dr-restore-server] com.mcafee.orion.dr.restore.RestoreServerCmd>> INFO exit RestoreServerCmd: invoke:: status= dr.cmd.restore.server.status.failure
[dr-restore-server] com.mcafee.orion.dr.restore.RestoreServerTask>> INFO DONE! RestoreServerTask: execute:: restoreServerCmd status= dr.cmd.restore.server.status.failure

any clue? Could it be that my passphrase is too old and too weak?

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community