Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Member
Not applicable
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 10

ePO 4.0 running very slow

I have just installed ePO 4.0 Patch 5 on an ESX 3.5 Update 4 Virtual Environment. The SQL Database is situated on another virtual server. Basically i am having severe slowness/lag with the ePO interface, to a point where it is completely unmanagable. It takes 5 minutes > from logging into the ePO console to actually loading the dashboard interface.

I have spoken with the guys who manage the Virtual environment, and they have stated that both the ePO server, and the SQL server are performing well within their limits. I have noticed that when any ePO action is taking place, such as moving between menus (which also takes an age) then the CPU useage jumps to 25%, this is with 4 processors assigned to the server. I must also point out that the server at the moment isnt even performing any kind of function, and there are no tasks set, nor clients reporting in. It is a fresh out of the box build.

There is definately some kind of bottleneck between the ePO server, and the database that is slowing this down. Has anybody got any tips / suggestions on how to troubleshoot, or fix this?

Thanks
9 Replies
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 2 of 10

RE: ePO 4.0 running very slow

Have the Database and EPO on the same VM. We are running EPO P4 on a Hyper V Windows 2003 VM and it's running great. This is on a 1 cpu, 4gb ram VM with 100gb assigned to it.
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 3 of 10

The servers are part of an ESX farm, they are on the same subnet but in 2 different data center's. It is not possible to have the database and the ePO box on the same VM as the environment is not managed like that. We cannot have rogue SQL installations because we have managed servers for this purpose.
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 4 of 10

Update: I have now installed SQL 2005 express locally to see whether it was the communication with SQL causing the problem, and it still does the same even with a local database.
tonyb99
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 10

whats the VM spec for the epo install and how many clients?
also I am assuming GB ethernet card? whats the traffic like?
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 6 of 10

Quad core, 1GB RAM, 50GB on ePO volume, 1GB LAN, no clients currently reporting in, and no tasks set for the box to perform. This has happened directly after I installed ePO on it. The server itself still resonds fine, and everything else but it is just the IE instance when ePO is loaded just grinds to a halt. I have ePO 4 running in our lab envirionment on ESX, and it runs like a dream - i just dont understand.
tonyb99
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 10

what ie are you using?
if you run the ie session from a pc to the server is it as slow?
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 8 of 10

Yes, I have created a shortcut from a terminal server and it is still the same. It is on one of our client sites. The browser is IE6, and i have also tried upgrading to 7, and a different version of Java. No difference.
tonyb99
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 9 of 10

I found the speed difference betwen ie6 and ie7 to be massive, thats why ie7 is recommended for epo4
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 10 of 10

Hi,
do u running some kind of virusscan engine on the servr?
perhaps this blocks the database file when its scanning it.
You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community