Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
twenden
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 41 of 69

RE: How to install ?

McAfee has added a couple of knowledge base articles that address these disabled issue with VES 8.7i.

The first is when the mcshield is disabled when downgrading from VSE 8.7i back to VSE 8.5i. They state the following"

Uninstalling VSE 8.7i leaves dependency data in the registry pointing to the mfevtp driver. When re-installing VSE 8.5i, McShield incorrectly points to this data value.

https://knowledge.mcafee.com/article/866/616951_f.SAL_Public.html

The other is titled "ERROR: Error 1920, service McShield failed to start (when installing VirusScan Enterprise 8.7i)".

https://knowledge.mcafee.com/article/874/616959_f.SAL_Public.html
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 42 of 69

I think they added these articles after seeing the issues first hand on a three hour remote session with us earlier this week. The logs are identical to the ones we submitted.

McAfee are taking virtual images of our affected machines. As I undertand they are working around the clock to get to the bottom of it.
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 43 of 69

Hopefully they can resolve this issue, and put out a patch, or redeploy 8.7 with the fixes inbuilt...
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 44 of 69

Just a question... Is there a reason why you're not using VMs for testing ?
I do those tests on VMs and if it fails... delete VM, but maybe there are behaviour difference between VM and real PC ?

Serge
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 45 of 69

There doesnt seem to be any difference between VM or hardware. Our affected machines are a mix of VM and hardware and server 2000 and 2003 however none of our XP desktops/laptops are affected.

My gut feeling is that it is McAfee driver related however nothing conclusive yet. I come to this conclusion because we cannot run the driver uninstall/install command from the knowledge base without getting errors on the affected machines.
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 46 of 69

We generally do tests on our standard builds.

As most of our corporate machines are the same, we would rather test on similar boxes, similar applications installed rather than a clean VM..

This way we can test software and hardware compatabilities...
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 47 of 69

The 8.5 to 8.7 upgrade worked fine on my pc.:D
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 48 of 69

What method of upgrade did you use? how many clients have you tested this on??
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 49 of 69

I have now received the fix for this issue from McAfee and as I suspected it is related to the drivers, specifically that they do not load from dynamic disks. There is a simple regedit workaround and it is being patched in 8.7 patch 1.

A KB article has been released and is at: https://knowledge.mcafee.com/SupportSite/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=616959&sliceI...

I have yet to test on all our affected systems but will post my results here tomorrow.
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 50 of 69

That KB article does not address the error below:

Log Name: Application
Source: McLogEvent
Date: 11/6/2008 9:47:45 AM
Event ID: 5004
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: SYSTEM
Computer: FearAndLoathing-PC
Description:
Could not contact Filter Driver.
Error = 0x7d1 : The specified driver is invalid.

I am going to open a case on this, since this just started on my workstation this morning....

This was deployed via ePO with 8.5 being installed prior, and by using Install for 8.7 and Ignore for 8.5. I prefer this as a safety net in case a machine does not install the new version after removing the old version.

Agent: 3.6.0.574
DAT: 5425.0000
Engine: 5300.2777
You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community