Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Member
Not applicable
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 11 of 69

RE: Virus Scan 8.7i Disabled

Does this suggest that you have managed to get it working.

We are in a similar position where we have over 3500 machines needing deployment.
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 12 of 69

Yes eventually, but definately not something I want to try and do with each individual system since we both are dealing with 3000+ machines. My supervisor is wanting me to look at getting it working on our image for deployment of new system and or subsequent reghosts which it seems stable after getting it running. But my major headache is trying to get our production machines upgraded. Simply does not seem possible with the present issues. I am trying to get all the info together to submit a Service Request with Mcafee.
twenden
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 13 of 69

It has also happened to me. Unfortunately, it occurred on my office workstation where the OAS, Access Protection and Buffer Overflow remained disabled after a reboot. I have deployed it to another three systems with no failures. The method that I used was to upgrade from VSE 8.5i to VSE 8.7i.

I am in the process of trying to reproduce this issue on 5 test systems. A mix of Vista, Windows 2000 and XP systems. There is no point at calling McAfee until it is able to be reproduced. This type of issue make me nervous about deploying this product. Lucky for me management does not tell me what to do. It is up to me to decide when this product is stable enough to push into production. So far, this bug is making me think that it would be better to wait for the first patch. That is what I did with VSE 8.5i.
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 14 of 69

I have tried this on 5 machines, all had VSE 8.5i with patch 6, So far I have found that 4/5 have failed.

I agree with Twenden

So far, this bug is making me think that it would be better to wait for the first patch

I did test the beta, and had no problems, but there is definatly something wrong with the release version.
twenden
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 15 of 69

Well, just performed an upgrade of those 5 test systems from VSE 8.5i to VSE 8.7i. After the upgrade, all the systems were rebooted. None of them exhibited this problem which is a pain. The only system to exhibit the problem for me was my office system which I can't keep on using as a test system.

Hopefully someone who can reproduce this failing consistently can call McAfee. We are going to need some resolution to this since it will stop me from deploying until a fix has been made by McAfee.
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 16 of 69

I have this issue. We piloted with 8.5 then after testing introduced 8.7 half way through rollout. Affected XP machines can be recovered by completely uninstalling everything then reinstalling however the same cannot be said for server platforms.

With about a third of our servers we are stuck in a loop. VSE 8.7 installs then right at the end Mcshield fails to start and an error 1920 is generated in the windows application event log and the install rolls back. clean installs on XP have no problems at all however for our server platforms only half of them are upgrades from 8.5, the other half are clean installs.

I have an open ticket with McAfee which has gone to second line. This is a real show stopper for us.
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 17 of 69

I have had a look at a roll back to 8.5i, where I tried to Uninstall 8.7i, and do an install of 8.5i, I have now seen that my installation of 8.5i keeps disabling itself now.

I dont think this is a wise move to be rolling this out as yet, as per sandgrownun mentioned

This is a real show stopper for us

twenden
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 18 of 69

We have experienced the "disabled" problem when either upgrading from VSE 8.5i to VSE 8.7i. Also had the problem trying to remove VSE 8.7i and then going back to VSE 8.5i via EPO. This has been done only on a few test systems. This is a major stopper for us causing me to now wait for the first patch.
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 19 of 69

I have had a service request open for this issue for three days with no progress made aside from providing McAfee with MER uploads. I think it would be helpful if others with the same issue opened their own tickets which may help to escalate this problem. If they are not aware that there are others with this issue then maybe it will be given a lower priority.

I agree with both comments regarding rolling back to 8.5. Once an install of 8.7 has been attempted (and failed) then the same problem manifests when rolling back to 8.5, even when 8.5 worked fine previously.
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 20 of 69

How to install ?

I'm preparing to set up the deployment task for 8.7 and I read your post.
So how does one set up the deployment task in ePO ?

VSE 8.5 : remove & VSE 8.7 : install in the same deployment task
or
Task 1 : VSE 8.5 remove immediately
Task 2 : VSE 8.7 install (at startup or immediately but after the first) ?

thanks
Serge
You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community