Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
twenden
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 21 of 69

RE: How to install ?

It is better to only set one deployment task. In this task we tell it to say remove VSE 8.0i and then install VSE 8.5i. It seems to be more problem free than if you chose the option to upgrade.

In our environment, we have decided not to roll out VSE 8.7i due to the issues with it disabling on some machines. In fact, I was unable to remove VSE 8.7i and go back to VSE 8.5i since VSE 8.5i became disabled on 5 of my test systems. It sucks that it has a problem downgrading if you decide that VSE 8.7i is a problem. I am going to wait until Patch 1 before we start evaluating this version again.
monkey79
Level 7
Message 22 of 69

I would say to anyone who is thinking of rolling this out further than a test environment to wait until there is something more stable.

Security is only as good as your weakest point. If you roll 8.7i out, potentially, the whole network is your weak point
Massi79
Level 7
Message 23 of 69

i did not try the first option. In my test setup i tried installing 8.7 OVER 8.5 and almost all was wrong happy so then i tried uninstalling 8.7/8.5 in a deployment task and then installing 8.7 in another deployment task, and all was right.
But i'd like to now if uninstall8.5/install8.7 in the same task can be a good idea.
Are you deploying 8.7 to all your machines? are you mad? happy
monkey79
Level 7
Message 24 of 69

To install this to all clients, I think it would be madness
tonyb99
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 25 of 69

I think we are all agreed that in the current state 8.7 is not yet fit for install. I am also waiting for patch 1 or sufficient hotfixes and explanataions of the issues.

as for installs

deployment of remove vse 8.5 install vse 8.7 - yay
deployment of install 8.7 and hope it removes 8.5 - nay

would seem to be the way to go.
Massi79
Level 7
Message 26 of 69

even if this SOMETIMES works happy
tonyb99
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 27 of 69

All i know is that

8.5 was supposed to remove 8.0 every time, but it didn't , when you used remove then install you got 99% success though

when using 8.7 its supposed to remove but it hasnt every time in my tests, but when I set remove 8.5 then install it works.

I always read the manual and the readme and the KB but I only use what works.. and the upgrade function has never worked as successfuly as removal and install for me.
monkey79
Level 7
Message 28 of 69

I would normally perform 2 stages within the upgrade, as previously mentioned, do a Uninstall of previous, and install new within the same task..

But I will not be doing this with 8.7i until i know there is something more stable about..
Massi79
Level 7
Message 29 of 69

I'm going to remove VSE 8.7 from my test systems because some of them, randomly, does not boot up after the logon screen..
bah happy
twenden
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 30 of 69

Have also removed VSE 8.7i from my test systems. Will wait for Patch 1 before testing again.
You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community