Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Superhoop
Level 9
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 81 of 230

Re: VSE 8.8. 6807 DAT problem - urgent!

Ok, so what if your machines had 6807/6808 and now have 6809, have not reported the 0.0000 or any other weird dat version and IS detecting Eicar.... would you still roll the hotfix out ?

I have far too many machines here to just roll it out to make sure and maybe reboot.#

Thansk for your feedback all, I have a case open with McAfee but nothing back yet with similar questions.

harris_s
Level 9
Message 82 of 230

I've decided to roll out the hotfix out to everything, the KB says this hotfix is MANDATORY in CAPS. Due to the ambiguity surrounding knowing which machine have had a certain dat and those which haven't I found this was the only really way to go. I'd rather do that than be open to attack (which it looks like I have already for the last 24 hours!)  Not all the servers will be rebooted though, so hope this is enough.

Message was edited by: harris_s on 21/08/12 14:33:16 IST

Message was edited by: harris_s on 21/08/12 14:33:42 IST
toddunger
Level 7
Message 83 of 230

Update...

So, it appears I partially correct.  I was running it on the systems that I was testing with yesterday.  When I ran it on systems that I hadn't touched at all it ran fine and they are working normally now.

toddunger
Level 7
Message 84 of 230

So, it's hit and miss on the systems.  2003 mostly.  DAT, Date, Engine all are correct, but still not catching EICAR.  Tried this on a server that had 6807 and was working fine and it broke it so now it doesn't detect EICAR.  We're running VSE on servers only here, so we seem to be having the same issues as harris_s.

harris_s
Level 9
Message 85 of 230

I'm going to stick my neck out here and assume the 2003 servers need a reboot before they start reporting as being 'fixed'. Unfortunately not an option for me, will try it tomorrow on a couple of which I can reboot. Going to have to leave these servers open to elements overnight, not ideal...

Hoping there will be something official from McAfee in the morning, BTW who at McAfee do I invoice for my time?

bretzeli
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 86 of 230

"BTW who at McAfee do I invoice for my time?"

Don't ask because THEY will you ask you to send a "MER" report before they escalate to Level 2. And not without MER we can't help 😉

toddunger
Level 7
Message 87 of 230

For me a reboot didn't 'fix' anything.  They're reporting correctly, they're just not passing the EICAR test.  Only about 25-30% are detecting it correctly.

Our testing here also confirms that on 2003 servers even after a reboot EICAR.com is NOT being detected. The Hofix is reporting as successfully installed, checked the

• 32-bit systems: HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\McAfee\DesktopProtection
  • 64-bit systems: HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Wow6432Node\McAfee\DesktopProtection

and verified that the hotfix is being reported.

Just to verify, we have downloaded new test files from EICAR.ORG and still the OAS failed to detect the Test file.

We are still testing 2008 just to be safe. will report finding when able.

Message was edited by: kenshiro2012 on 8/21/12 11:07:30 AM CDT
runcmd
Level 10
Message 89 of 230

Can the hotfix be added to the evaluation branch of the Master Repository and tested first?  I have not used the Evaluation Branch before, so please forgive my ignorance; however, when I attempt to check in the HF package, the only available branch is "Current"--all others are dimmed out.  Thanks!

brentil
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 90 of 230

runcmd wrote:

Can the hotfix be added to the evaluation branch of the Master Repository and tested first?  I have not used the Evaluation Branch before, so please forgive my ignorance; however, when I attempt to check in the HF package, the only available branch is "Current"--all others are dimmed out.  Thanks!

If it's dimmed out you can't use it then.  But you can turn off any user Update Tasks and build new specific ones for groups you want to test deploy.

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community