Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mcoffee
Level 10
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 4

Upgrading EPO - database?

We're about to onboard a new customer with 2 new EPO servers to add to my managed estate. 

They want to keep both rather than migrating to our central ones, but also wish to upgrade to the latest.

They are currently running 5.3.2 which is a familiar version, and I have always performed an in-place upgrade when I've brought our own EPOs up to date, however they're internal support team have asked the question can they export the SQL express database to a dedicated SQL server, then install a new 5.9 / 5.10 instance of EPO on their server and point it at the existing database.

From memory I thought that the database got upgraded as part of the EPO upgrade, but is this actually the case, or would their method actually work (can't say I'd even considered it before to try it).

Thanks

Nick

-------
If my answer helped you, please mark it as the accepted solution and give Kudos if appropriate.
3 Replies
cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 4

Re: Upgrading EPO - database?

No, they cannot install 5.9 or any other version and point it to a 5.3.2 database.  They can, however, move the database to a full sql server, point their existing 5.3.2 server to it, then upgrade.  

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

mcoffee
Level 10
Message 3 of 4

This is exactly what I did with our own, but I wanted to be able to say I'd at least explored their option as they were contemplating doing the upgrade themselves before we onboard them if they could do it their way.

Since they can't and it has to be my way, the platforms will likely be left as 5.3.2 now and I will have another nice database migration and application upgrade project on my hands 🙂

Thanks for the clarification.
-------
If my answer helped you, please mark it as the accepted solution and give Kudos if appropriate.
cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 4

Be sure to use the pre installation auditor tool and go through kb71825 to avoid any problems.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community