cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade to ePO 5.10 with SQL server in AlwaysOn Availability Group

I am trying to upgrade an ePO 5.9.1 server to the 5.10u3 version.  Part of the pre-installation check prevents the setup from continuing when the SQL server is configured in a ALwaysOn Availability Group per KB86152.

Part of the workaround suggests disabling SQL mirroring but this is not exactly the case with AlwaysOn.

Any information on how this might be accomplished?

6 Replies
cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 7

Re: Upgrade to ePO 5.10 with SQL server in AlwaysOn Availability Group

It cannot be in the high availability group for the upgrade.  Even with it out of the always on group, it still may trigger the pia tool, but as long as it is not in that group, you should be ok with it.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

What is the exact state the ePO installation expects the SQL database to be in?  There are a number of options in this Microsoft document for the SQL server: administration-of-an-availability-group-sql-server

• Remove Availability Group
  • Remove primary/secondary database
  • Suspend availability database
  • Take availability group offline
cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 7

I would suggest removing the db from the availability group and possibly also take it offline so it is not in the picture.  It definitely can't be in the availability group.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

I did upgrade the ePO server to the 5.10u3 version which seemed to go ok.  With the 5.10 version a new database was created for database_events so there are now 2 databases listed on SQL server. 

With our SQL configuration we have been using a Basic Availability Group (BAG) for the SQL database configuration.  A limitation of the BAG is that each would contain only 1 database and this ePO configuration would cause a conflict.  We are currently running in stand-alone mode with the high availability disabled.

Is it possible for ePO to be configured with the ePO_events database located on a different database server?

cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 7

No, it is not possible for the events db to be on a different sql server.

Was my reply helpful?

MvdV1969
Level 7
Message 7 of 7

Hi,

Currently you would have your ePO setup connecting to the AD propagated name most likely in your connection settings to the DB.

First check out which server is currently functional as "main".

Alter the DB connection to the main server FQDN with the instance name and do connection test.

Run EPIP again and you should be OK.

After the upgrade switch back to the Always On connector.

cheers,

Maurice

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community