Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Victor
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 16

Upgrade to 5.10.0 from 5.9.1 failed

Jump to solution

Upgrading to 5.10.0 seemed to go OK, with no errors during the install, but now the system tree is missing as well as all the icons on the menu page. Many other pages are blank or look very strange with almost no information. I suspect that I selected the wrong database user during installation.

There is no repair/reinstall option, only uninstall. Will it be safe to uninstall (and keeping the database) and try e new install?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 8 of 16

Re: Upgrade to 5.10.0 from 5.9.1 failed

Jump to solution

Restoring epo involves much more than just restoring a database, as epo install directory has all the keystores, certificates, etc.  If they don't match what the db has, nothing will work.  Is there any way you can restore the deleted upgraded databases?  Never create your own database - the upgrades/installs create what epo needs.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

View solution in original post

15 Replies
Siu
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 16

Jump to solution

If the complete system tree is missing, then it is indeed very strange and I would recommend to revert back and try the upgrade again. Before that, can you please take screenshots and show it to us, so we can see at what stage the ePO is. 

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thank You,

Siushan M.
Victor
Level 7
Message 3 of 16

Jump to solution

I re-installed 5.10.0 with limited success. It created a new blank database and the problem with the user interface was still there.
If using Chrome rather that the default IE11, the interaface looks fine.

Now I want to change back to the original database as it is probably fine.

I tried KB68427, and it looks like the connection to the main databse is OK, but it still connects to the newly created _Events database

The ePO server service times out on starting. From the Windows Event logs it looks like it's starting up both the newly created and the original database.

No connection from the interface, so now I can't even revert to previous settings. Are there an alternative way to configure the database names and credentials? Registry or IIS settings?

What to do?

aguevara
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 16

Jump to solution

Creating a DB manually wont help as you need the installer to do that for you.

If the upgrade was successful (no visible errors and the wizard called it a success instead of a failure) then i can suggest you to navigate to the core config page and ensure you are pointing the system files to the upgraded DB

1. Open a web browser and go to https://localhost:8443/core/config
(where 8443 is the port for the console communication).

2. Log on with ePO credentials.

3. fill the fields with the correct information from the upgraded DB

4. Click Test Connection.

5. Only click Apply, if the test is successful.

6. Once you do that stop all services and move the logs from Server\logs and DB\logs to another location 

7. Start only the ePO application service and reproduce the problem (open the console and wait at least 5 mins) and then collect the logs from the mentioned folders

If possible please zip and send me those logs on a private message along with the C:\ProgramData\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator folder 

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Victor
Level 7
Message 5 of 16

Jump to solution

I used the procedure in KB68427 and this time changed both the main and the _Events database.

Now the service starts, but the logon is missing the servername (I think - the top drop down box is empty)

Entering a valid admin password rejected with incorrect password.

Clicking "Restore Administrator Access" will go to ../core/restore-admin with the following message: "The server was not in a state that could handle your request. Try again later".

I think the content of the newly upgraded database is OK - I just can't connect to it.

What if I restore the newly upgraded database (I did a backup after the upgrade) as the database created by the fresh installation? (overwrite the fresh installation DB)

LogOn.png

cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 16

Jump to solution

Can you clarify exactly what you did?  That kb is for moving the db to another sql server - is that what you did?  Did you create same sql account and assign it appropriate ownership to the db's?  Does the eventparser service start?  If not, what errors are you getting in orion and stderr.log under server\logs where epo is installed?  

One of the first things you want to verify is that the new sql server has proper ciphers and tls enabled.  I would download iiscrypto, run it on sql server, choose best practices and then reboot and see if that helps.

Was my reply helpful?

Victor
Level 7
Message 7 of 16

Jump to solution

Hi cdinet.

I upgraded to 5.10.0 with no problems reported. I could also start the web interface, but almost everything was missing or pages looked very strange with five vertical scollbars. Actually I think it was working as it should, but IE11 made a mess of it. I found out later that Chrome will display all pages without problems (but that was after i re-installed 5.10.0)

Just after the 5.10.0 upgrade i did a database backup of both main and events databases. 

When installing it will either create new databases or overwrite the existing. I did not try the overwrite.
I installed with another database name (in the same SQL instance on the same server). I then tried to change the databases to the originally upgraded with https://localhost:8443/core/config-auth. This also looked successful and the connection test was OK. After restarting the server it's not possible to connect to the user interface or any of the configuration pages.

Then I deleted the originally upgraded databases and did a fresh install using the original database names. This works OK, but all configuration is of course missing. Then I shut down the services and restored the backups overwriting the empty databases. Also unable to connect to anything here and the services times out on starting.

There is an option to use a database snapshot when installing - I don't have have one. Is it possible to create one from the backups?

Other that the web interface are there other ways of defing the connection settings? .ini files or registry?

If there is no way of connecting to the database, and I do a fresh install, what about the client installations? Will ePO detect that the client is already installed, or do I have re-install all of them 😞

cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 8 of 16

Jump to solution

Restoring epo involves much more than just restoring a database, as epo install directory has all the keystores, certificates, etc.  If they don't match what the db has, nothing will work.  Is there any way you can restore the deleted upgraded databases?  Never create your own database - the upgrades/installs create what epo needs.

Was my reply helpful?

View solution in original post

Victor
Level 7
Message 9 of 16

Jump to solution

" Is there any way you can restore the deleted upgraded databases?" - yes, I have a full backup of the database, but how can I connect to it?

aguevara
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 10 of 16

Jump to solution

If is matching the ePO system files then please follow the steps described on the article KB66616, please see the section "To recover the ePO server"

Was my reply helpful?

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community