cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade ePolicy Orchestrator and move to new servers

Ran into an issue with updating ePO 5.9.1 to 5.10, due to my Server being a 2008. So im in the process of building an upgrade roadmap. Today ePO and SQL are on the same system(MS Server 2008R2). What is the best way to get that moved over to new ePO and a dedicated SQL (MS Server 2019 and SQL 2019)? We also have an Agent Handler in our DMZ, that also needs to be moved over to a new server. How do I get clients with Agents to talk to new ePO? Thank you!
===///===
3 Replies
aguevara
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 4

Re: Upgrade ePolicy Orchestrator and move to new servers

Please see the below article:

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB68427

That is the recommended procedure to migrate or move an ePolicy Orchestrator database to a new SQL Server, once thats done you can continue with the upgrade.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Thank you! That's a great article for moving SQL. 

My road map starting get shaped.

1. Move SQL to new server. 
2. How do I move the ePO 5.9.1 to the new server. Just install 5.10 and point to database? is there any other files to move?

3. How to setup a new Agent Handler in DMZ

4. get existing laptops/desktops to talk to new server

Your help and support is greatly appreciated.

===///===
aguevara
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 4

PLease see my answers: 

1. yes

2. Not quiet, you can not mix the migration of OS and an upgrade, you need to accomplish first the migration of ePO 5.9 to a new OS and then upgrade it to 5.10. To migrate your ePO 5.9 from one server to another please use the Disaster recovery Server task, please see:

https://docs.mcafee.com/bundle/epolicy-orchestrator-5.10.0-installation-guide/page/GUID-9B5B573A-898...

and 

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB66616

The steps to migrate to a new OS are:

• Reset your "Disaster Recovery Passphrase" (if you don't know it) you set this up when you installed ePO 5.9 (please reset it at: Menu -> Configuration -> Server Settings -> Disaster Recovery)
  • Run the "Disaster Recovery Snapshot Server" server task on your ePO 5.9
  • After the task has been completed, stop all services and move your DB to your new server (see KB68427)
  • once the DB is restored to the new server start a new installation of ePO 5.9 and select the option to restore your ePO from a snapshot from the first option on the installation wizard
  • Provide details of your DB on the install wizard and make sure you are pointing to the new DB/instance

That will restore your ePO 5.9 to a new OS, once thats done you can upgrade it to 5.10 🙂 

3. please see:
https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB59218

4. you need to retain on the new server the same IP and/or FQDN: when you follow the steps i gave on question 2 review again KB66616:

NOTES:

• The agent uses either the last known IP address, DNS name, or NetBIOS name of the ePO server. If you change any one of these values, make sure that the agents have a way to locate the server. The easiest way is to retain the existing DNS record and change it to be directed to the new IP address of the ePO server. After the agent successfully connects to the ePO server, it downloads an updated Sitelist.xml with the current information.
  • You can also use this procedure if you want to migrate the ePO server to another system. But, it’s preferable to use the built-in Disaster Recovery feature to migrate the ePO server to another system.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community