cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Member
Not applicable
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 7

Updating from 4.6.6 to 5.3 - Suggestions?

Jump to solution

Hello!

I am about to begin the process of updating from 4.6.6(Build 176), and I am hoping to get up to date with the most recent build.

Does anyone out there have a recommendation on where to get started, what path to take, etc? I welcome any and all information around this update.

Thank you in advance for your help!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
hanoe
Level 9
Message 2 of 7

Re: Updating from 4.6.6 to 5.3 - Suggestions?

Jump to solution

Hello,

I am in the same boat and this is what I found out from support and also reading through knowledge center.You cannot go directly from 4.6.6 to 5.3 ... But you can go incrementally.. for example:

-4.6.6 to 5.1.1 to 5.3

-4.6.6 to 4.6.8 to 5.3

The release notes have the supported upgrade paths.

5.1.1 Release notes - https://kc.mcafee.com/resources/sites/MCAFEE/content/live/PRODUCT_DOCUMENTATION/25000/PD25288/en_US/...

5.3.1 Release notes - https://kc.mcafee.com/resources/sites/MCAFEE/content/live/PRODUCT_DOCUMENTATION/26000/PD26103/en_US/...

Do you have epo managed EEPC or DLP clients?

View solution in original post

6 Replies
hanoe
Level 9
Message 2 of 7

Jump to solution

Hello,

I am in the same boat and this is what I found out from support and also reading through knowledge center.You cannot go directly from 4.6.6 to 5.3 ... But you can go incrementally.. for example:

-4.6.6 to 5.1.1 to 5.3

-4.6.6 to 4.6.8 to 5.3

The release notes have the supported upgrade paths.

5.1.1 Release notes - https://kc.mcafee.com/resources/sites/MCAFEE/content/live/PRODUCT_DOCUMENTATION/25000/PD25288/en_US/...

5.3.1 Release notes - https://kc.mcafee.com/resources/sites/MCAFEE/content/live/PRODUCT_DOCUMENTATION/26000/PD26103/en_US/...

Do you have epo managed EEPC or DLP clients?

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 3 of 7

Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply!

I had come to the conclusion that the path you stated is the path I will have to follow.

Thank you for the links, I was hoping that maybe there would be another way, but it looks like this is the way to do it.

Time to start my plan of attack. I'm thinking 4.6.6 to 5.1.1 to 5.3 is probably the way I will be going.

We are using epo to manage antivirus installations across the company, and that is all at the moment.

hanoe
Level 9
Message 4 of 7

Jump to solution

jskinnerjr wrote:

"We are using epo to manage antivirus installations across the company, and that is all at the moment."

Lucky You!!!

hanoe
Level 9
Message 5 of 7

Jump to solution

Hello,

Were you able to complete your ePO upgrade? Have you run in to any issues? Thank you

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 6 of 7

Jump to solution

I have completed the upgrade. If I remember correctly I updated to 4.8 and then 5.1 and then 5.3.0, because of some issues I was having with the compatibility checker from 4.6 to 5.1.

This week I'm patching to 5.3.1 and the most recent hotfix that's listed in the Downloads area.

So far so good,

I cannot seem to get McAfee to install Agent 5.0.3  to systems that had agent 4.5 still installed, so I've been force uninstalling each one at a time in order to update them using the cmd line. I set up a batch file for ease of use.

I would love it if it was an easier process but it would seem that Agent 4.5 cannot be shut down because of some dependent processes, therefor the automatic installation by agent deployment doesn't function.

All agents that were already 4.6 or higher are updating to 5.0.3 with no issues.

Thank you for checking in!

haaris
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Jump to solution

Hi,

You can also goto epo upgrade center to have all relevant information regarding that..

https://community.mcafee.com/community/business/expertcenter/epo-upgrade-center

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community