Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ASF-VA
Level 8
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 9

Update agent for linux - Problem

Hello,

I try to update agents on Linux with ePO.

I can deploy the agent on a new server with no problem, but when I try to update the agent on a existing server, ePO tells me "Success", but the agent on the server is still in the previous version.

If I uninstall the agent, and I try to install the new one with ePO, It works.

I'm on ePO 5.10.0 and I try to update the 5.7.3.245 agent version, on Red Hat system with the 5.7.2.162

I wouldn't mind any help

Thanks in advance,

8 Replies
cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 9

Re: Update agent for linux - Problem

This might help determine if it is getting all the right files or not from the repository.

https://community.mcafee.com/t5/ePolicy-Orchestrator-ePO/SOLVED-HOW-TO-TROUBLESHOOT-CLIENT-UPDATE-DE...

Otherwise I would suggest opening a ticket with McAfee so we can look at logs.  If you run the install locally, does it fail with any specific errors?  Local install instructions are in the ma install guide.  

https://docs.mcafee.com/bundle/agent-5.7.0-installation-guide/page/GUID-EE613507-06FD-4308-9251-F3AC...

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

ASF-VA
Level 8
Message 3 of 9

Thank you for your response.

Sorry, I didn't mention that I have already saw this post about how to troubleshoot client update.
I checked the logs on the clients server, and I didn't see anything wrong. I might have missed something of course...

But I do see in McScript_deploy.log after an other attempd today:
2021-07-09 14:47:53 [78041] (16384) [ScrptMgr] [I] Update succeeded to version 5.7.3.

But the agent is still in 5.7.2

I add that I can see in the log files that the download of the agent from the ePO server is a success.

If I upgrade the agent manualy, by downloading the agentpackage from the ePO server, copy the file on the server, and use the command:
install.sh -u

It works perfectly

Anyone with a similar problem?
I will open a case next week if I can't find any solution.

aguevara
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 9

Is the extension in ePO matching the installed version on the client? 

If is just one client, could you delete it from the system tree and allow it to come back after an Agent to server communication? 

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

ASF-VA
Level 8
Message 5 of 9

"Is the extension in ePO matching the installed version on the client? "
→ Yes, same version on the client, and on ePO. And if I update the agent manualy on the client server, I can see on ePO that the agent version is updated.

"If is just one client, could you delete it from the system tree and allow it to come back after an Agent to server communication?"
→ The problem is with all the Linux client.

aguevara
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 9

got you, then please open up a case with support and we can take a look at the logs

Was my reply helpful?

JLDT
Level 10
Message 7 of 9

Hello ASF-VAReport,

Looks like i'm having the same issue here (moving from 5.6 to 5.7 on Ubuntu 18.04.

From ePO Client Events, i'm seeing successful update (showing also version 5.7.3.xx) but when i'm checking the product, it is still reporting with 5.6.x.

Quick question : have you opened a case with support to get additional troubleshoot ? If yes, can you share their feedback ? Otherwise i'll open a case on my side and will share updates

Thanks

ASF-VA
Level 8
Message 8 of 9

Hello, It has been a very long resolution… To be short, I had two problems: 1 - I had to create .profile file in root repertory → touch /root/.profile 2 - We have a file system restriction on \var to prevent any executable files. From memory, ePO downloads the source for install in \Var\McAfee So we add a new partition without this restriction Hope it will help
JLDT
Level 10
Message 9 of 9

Thanks a lot.

I've checked the McScript_deploy and i'm really getting same behavior.

Unfortunately, i'm not Linux expert, so i don't know how to check the file restriction on /var folder.

According to my colleague (who has access to the server), root has read/write/execute access on all folders under /var. 

What do you mean by "So we add a new partition without this restriction" ?

Again, apologize for dummy question, but i'm more familiar with Windows systems.

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community