cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uninstall HIPs 8 - server tasks remains

Hi

I wonder if anyone can help ?

Epo server 5.3.1, HIPS 8. Ive tried to uninstall HIPS 8 from the server as we no longer require the application anywhere. I have removed all tasks, extensions, software etc etc from the server.

Everything has gone as expected apart from one system server task called "Host IPS 8.0 Catalog Maintenance Task". I am not able to remove this task. Is there anyway of removing this unused (now invalid) server task ?

Many thanks

Tony

4 Replies
VriendP
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 5

Re: Uninstall HIPs 8 - server tasks remains

You cannot remove it because it is a System-owned task. I'm running into the same issue and have not found a solution so far. Luckily, the annoyance is mostly cosmetic.

Hi, did you find a way to remove it ? 

From my side, we rearchiving the extension + try to delete

But in this case delete button is not possible....

undrstr
Level 10
Message 4 of 5

Just to be certain, we are talking removing from a managed server, correct? 

Yoiu ran the "Remove" task from ePO and it still did not remove the offending HIPS updater? 

Barring running the Remove task from ePO and restarting the managed device the only other option that i have found is to manually remove it from the registry and folder structure of the managed devices operating system. 

Ensure that the Host Intrustion Prevention service is stopped
Navigate to C:\Program Files(x86)\McAfee\Host Intrusion Prevention\ and remove this folder if it exists.
Open and make a backup of the registry.  (Always make a backup of the registry when removing from there)
In the registry I normally search for HIPS or Intrusion and remove anything that is related to the McAfee Host Intrusion product. 

When this is complete I restart the server and it should be fully removed. 

It is ugly and can take up to 30 minutes but it gets the job done. 

Sir_KiKo
Level 7
Message 5 of 5

Hi,

remove the row with name "Host IPS 8.0 Catalog Maintenance Task" from "OrionSchedulerTaskMT" table.

Martin

Tags (1)
You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community