Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vivek75
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 5

Unable to run .msi file package from EEDK in EPO

Hello All,

I'm trying to create a package from EEDK for nessus install and I'm able to successfully create a package. But while deploying it to windows machines in EPO I'm facing "Unknown Error". Can we create packages in EEDK with .msi files?

4 Replies
cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 5

Re: Unable to run .msi file package from EEDK in EPO

Yes, you can.  But it all depends on what errors you are getting, what command to run you are specifying, etc.  

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

vivek75
Level 7
Message 3 of 5

SO I have created a .msi file package using EEDK and the command to install the program is as follows:

msiexec /i  <File path>\NessusAgent-7.7.0-x64.msi NESSUS_GROUPS="Windows" NESSUS_SERVER="cloud.tenable.com:443" NESSUS_KEY=<company_key> /qn

Within EPO Server task log  I see this error

9/14/20 10:02:50 AMRun now task nessus software win10 received.
9/14/20 10:02:54 AMRun now task started.
9/14/20 10:03:36 AMRun now task nessus software win10 failed.
Details: Product "TENABLE_1100" installation failed, reason "Unknown error"..

Thank you.

cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 5

Add some verbose logging switches to msiexec command with a path to the log you want to generate and see if that gives any additional information.  Additional things you can look at is the mcscript_deploy log on the client and possibly the application event log.  Does the nessus installer generate a log by default on its own?  If you see in the mcscript_deploy log that it invokes the msi file, then any further info for the failure would need to be gathered from an install log.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

TrentD
Level 8
Message 5 of 5

A batch file is necessary for the Nessus Agent MSI file as it cannot be successfully called from the EEDK package tool. We created a batch file using the below and successfully deployed Nessus agent via EPO...Hope this helps...Thanks

@echo off
:: ################################################
:: Set environment to current product folder
pushd "%~dp0"
:: Get software package source directory and set as variable SRCDIR
SET SRCDIR=
for /f "delims=" %%a in ('cd') do @set SRCDIR=%%a
:: Execute msiexec.exe in a separate CMD process and install specified package from source dir with no user interaction
%comspec% /c %systemroot%\system32\msiexec.exe /i %SRCDIR%\xxxxxx.msi NESSUS_GROUPS="xxxxxxx" NESSUS_SERVER="xxxxx:port" NESSUS_KEY=xxxxxxx /qn /L*v c:\temp\nessus.log
goto EOF
:: Exit and pass proper exit to agent
:: ################################################
:EOF
Exit /B 0

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community