Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rgmyers
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 10

Unable to create deployment task with Action Uninstall

Hi,

I am trying to create a deployment task to uninstall McAfee Agent as it is blocking us being able to upgrade a critical piece of software.  When I try and create a task I have the option to Install and an action with no other options.  

If I create this task and try to duplicate the action and change it to uninstall it is again blank. 

Is this an issue with my rights and access as ePO administrator?

9 Replies
savidudu
Level 10
Message 2 of 10

Re: Unable to create deployment task with Action Uninstall

No this is not the issue with your account.

By default we can not create the uninstall task.

If you want to remove the agent from the machine in that case follow the below steps:

1. Login to McAfee ePO console and go to system tree under systems 

2. select the system where you want to remove the agent

3.click on actions ,select Directory management and select delete

4.A new windows comes asking for confirmation select the sub option which says delete the agent in next agent server communication

this will remove the agent and delete the machine from epo system tree.

thanks 

cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 3 of 10

To clarify, if there are any other Mcafee products installed, it will only put the agent in unmanaged mode, it will not remove the agent.  It will only actually uninstall the agent if no other products are installed that use the agent.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

rgmyers
Level 7
Message 4 of 10

I just need to temp remove the agent and then reinstall in 10 minutes.  I will still have many other McAfee products installed.

rgmyers
Level 7
Message 5 of 10

The goal here is for me to keep the asset inside ePO but to remove the McAfee agent temporarily. I don't want to stop managing this machine though.

cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 10

Removing the agent will make it unmanaged, whether you remove the agent completely or put it in unmanaged mode.  If you need the agent not functional for a few moments, it would be better to disable self protection for the agent, then stop all the agent services for the time you need it not functioning.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

rgmyers
Level 7
Message 7 of 10

Is there a way to disable self protection for the agent remotely?  Sometimes we are trying to disable it on a sever we don't have remote access to so we can't log in and disable manually.

cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 8 of 10

There is no way to disable self protection remotely or locally, it is only done via the agent policy.

Was my reply helpful?

rgmyers
Level 7
Message 9 of 10

This is where I should create a policy that disables the McAfee agent and break inheritance and give it that policy?

cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 10 of 10

You can't disable the agent, you just disable self protection and yes, you would need to break inheritance and duplicate the existing policy for that so it doesn't affect other systems.

Was my reply helpful?

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community