Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Member
Not applicable
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 5

Unable to Wake Agent on RHEL 7

Jump to solution

As the title states, I am unable to wake agent on RHEL 7. Sending the wake agent command from the ePO server results in:

"Unknown error contacting agent"

"Wakeup agent failed"

"Expired. The task will be stopped"

I am able to ping between the RHEL7 server and the ePO server. 

I have tried disabling the firewall on the RHEL7 server.

I have used tcpdump to verify the wake agent packets are sending (they're sending over a custom port, retransmit twice).

I cannot find a McAfee service that is listening on the custom port (or even the default port, 8081).

The agent is able to collect and send props, and this updates on the ePO server, so there is some communication. 

This issue is stopping me from deploying VirusScan to the RHEL7 server. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. 

Tags (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 5 of 5

Re: Unable to Wake Agent on RHEL 7

Jump to solution
Services can not run on ports lower that 1024 on RHEL 7 unless they are in root mode. So wake-up calls will not run on port 591 on McAfee Agent 5.x or new running on RHEL 7. To get it to work the McAfee Agent must be installed with root mode manually on the system. I use command sh install.sh -i -r (-r is for root mode) and then send communications to the ePO using /opt/McAfee/agent/bin/cmdagent . One switch per command and I run switches -p, -e, -c, and -f. Afterwards wake up agent and installs of other components work from ePO. Check out KB86939 and KB52707

View solution in original post

4 Replies
cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 5

Jump to solution

Can you telnet to 8081 on that rhel server?  That should not stop you from pushing out VirusScan.  Set up a scheduled or run immediately client deployment task instead of product deployment or run client task now and the system should get it.  

You can check the agent logs on the client for any errors - I believe the macmnsvc log should log errors on that as well as masvc possibly.  They should be located under /var/McAfee/agent/logs.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 3 of 5

Jump to solution

So when we changed the wake up port from 591 back to 8081, Wake Up Agent AND VirusScan deployment worked. Neither worked when the wake up port was set to 591. Though, I do not understand how this affects the pushing of VirusScan and would like further explanation if possible. 

Edit: To further explain, we were not able to telnet to 591 before. The local firewall on the RH box was allowing and picking up traffic on 591, but I was not able to see where any services were listening. If I check the listening ports for 8081 (ss -a | grep 8081), I still cannot see where anything is listening to 8081. 

So it seems like it works with the default (8081) port but not other non-default ports. Curious as to why that may be. 

cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 5

Jump to solution

I don't know if KB89319 would apply to RHEL also, but you can check the files mentioned to see if it does.  As for why the default port would allow the install of VSE, that all depends on how you are deploying it.  If you are using a run client task now, that uses the same port as wakeup to contact the client to push the task to it.  Anytime epo pushes something to a client, it would use the wakeup port.  A scheduled client task, on the other hand, is not pushed to the client, but the agent receives it during normal asci, then runs it locally, pulling the necessary files from epo or distributed repository.  

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 5 of 5

Jump to solution
Services can not run on ports lower that 1024 on RHEL 7 unless they are in root mode. So wake-up calls will not run on port 591 on McAfee Agent 5.x or new running on RHEL 7. To get it to work the McAfee Agent must be installed with root mode manually on the system. I use command sh install.sh -i -r (-r is for root mode) and then send communications to the ePO using /opt/McAfee/agent/bin/cmdagent . One switch per command and I run switches -p, -e, -c, and -f. Afterwards wake up agent and installs of other components work from ePO. Check out KB86939 and KB52707
You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community