Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BlueHerron
Level 8
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 15

Unable to Update MEDDAT on Linux

Hello,

I have RHEL 7.9 and am trying to get the McAfee Agesnt v5.7.2 to update the meddat file from my Master Repository in ePO 10.7.  There is communication between ePO and the agent, but the dat file never updates after running a task from the Linux box or when pushing Update Now or Wake up Agent in ePO.  Looking through the McScript logs, some of the errors I am seeing are listed below...

Command Failed...ReportStatus

Command Failed...CallIf

Failed to download from repository.

Failed to get the files from the server.  Setting boK to FALSE

UV Connect Failed -uv error <34> <no such file or directory>

The services that are running are...

mcafee.ma

mfeespd

mfetpd

I have SELinux turned OFF and have turned off IPTables to see if either was affecting the communication, but nothing has worked.  Any ideas?

14 Replies
aguevara
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 15

Re: Unable to Update MEDDAT on Linux

if you see on mcscript the message "Failed to download from repository." then most likely that is the problem as MA wont be able to download some packages from the server, what i can suggest is to look at the log and see which URL is failing to download and the try a curl test from that Linux box pointing to the repository, for example (this info is from my test machine) if the download failed for this URL:

https://192.168.244.197:443/Software/SiteStat.xml?hash={45b01e2e-ccfe-11eb-2913-6fdd4f00c8df}

Then this means that 192.168.244.197 is my repository and the file failing is SiteStat.xml,

after identifying the URL the curl test can be done like this:

culr -kv  https://192.168.244.197:443/Software/SiteStat.xml?hash={45b01e2e-ccfe-11eb-2913-6fdd4f00c8df}

Make sure that the repository is the desired/preferred repository as the machine might have more repositories and these can be configured on the MA repository policy 

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

BlueHerron
Level 8
Message 3 of 15

Turn out the "Failed to download from repository" is an issue with the IP address, but when it retries using a DNS resolution, it succeeds.  I re-ran a DAT update task from my Linux box today and these are all the failures I can find in the log...

UV connect failed -uv error <34> <no such file or directory>

Downloading file from https://<resolved hostname>/Software/catalog.z?hash<hash value>

error occurred while downloading catalog.z

The curl command seemed to work fine with SiteStatus.xml when using the resolved hostname.  

cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 15

Does this help any with troubleshooting the issue?  What is the specific error downloading files from the repository?

https://community.mcafee.com/t5/ePolicy-Orchestrator-ePO/SOLVED-HOW-TO-TROUBLESHOOT-CLIENT-UPDATE-DE...

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

BlueHerron
Level 8
Message 5 of 15

The errors I was getting are described in my previous post.  I have decided to uninstall 5.7.2 and do a fresh install of 5.7.3.  I removed the system from the System Tree and added it back in about 2 hours later to allow the system to remove all components of the agent by deleting it and checking remove agent from system in the delete dialog box.  Installed the new extension and re-created the system in the system tree and deployed 5.7.3 in the "new system" process.  Still says unmanaged after 20 minutes, but will let it sit overnight and see if it comes back up in the morning.

aguevara
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 15

Is the machine managed now? 

Answering your previous question, if the failure was with  downloading catalog.z then a curl test with that URL should help us understand why it fails.

Was my reply helpful?

BlueHerron
Level 8
Message 7 of 15

I am unable to post the results of the output due to the environment I work in, but it came back with the same results as the SiteStatus.xml, except after the informational output, it produced many lines of unreadable letters and characters.  So, it got the information it was supposed to get, just looked like garbled data at the end.

BSharma
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 8 of 15

Hello @BlueHerron 

Please try once restarting the McAfee ENS L services and try updating endpoint.

• To stop the ENSLTP service, run the following commands:

# /opt/McAfee/ens/tp/init/mfetpd-control.sh stop
# /opt/McAfee/ens/esp/init/mfeespd-control.sh stop

• To start the ENSLTP service, run the following commands:

# /opt/McAfee/ens/esp/init/mfeespd-control.sh start
# /opt/McAfee/ens/tp/init/mfetpd-control.sh start

Was my reply helpful?

BSharma
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 9 of 15

Adding to my previous reply: 

Also refer following KB article for one of the known issue - if it is same for you. 

Unable to update MED_DAT on a Linux system

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB94375&locale=en_US

Was my reply helpful?

I have upgraded the agent to 5.7.3 and am still receiving errors and cannot get the MEDDAT to update.  Here are the abbreviated logs with the most concerning errors..

Error Trace:

SessionManager::runScript:/var/McAfee/agent/update/UpdateMain.McS

Executing Section LatestDATsInstalled

ReportStatus

Could not find symbol for dereferencing Module

Error Trace:

SessionManager::runScript:/var/McAfee/agent/update/UpdateMain.McS

Line 614: RunScript dwRet =

/var/McAfee/agent/update/Current/MED_DAT_1000/datdet.mcs, ScriptMain

Executing section LatestDATsInstalled

Command Failed...ReportStatus

Error trace:

Main Thread

SessionManager:: runScript:/var/McAfee/agent/update/UpdateMain.McS

Executing section ScriptMain

Command Failed...CallIf

Script executed.  Setting dwRet to 18

Nowhere to get value from.

Error trace:

SessionManager:: runScript:/var/McAfee/agent/update/UpdateMain.McS

Executing section ScriptMain

Executing section ExecuteDetectonScript

Line 614: RunScript dwRet = 

/var/McAfee/agent/update/Current/MED_DAT_1000/datdet.mcs, ScriptMain

/var/McAfee/agent/update/Current/MED_DAT_1000/datdet.mcs did not execute successfully

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community