Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
arnieos
Level 11
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 8

Unable to Manually Upgrade McAfee Agent from 5.6.1 to 5.6.6

Jump to solution

We have a Windows Server 2016 running on McAfee Agent 5.6.1.308. We are trying to upgrade it to 5.6.6.232 manually by running the framepkg.exe. We right clicked the file and selected "Run as administrator', we got an error 

"They key UNKNOWN\Components\17C587F6F7603C04587D819EE8C3AA6E\A9F4860810B6F3F48A7C4C7BDB0F271F could not be opened. Make sure you have adequate access to the key or contact support technicians.”.

The account used on the server is a local admin since it is a workgroup server.

1. Has anyone encountered this error in the past? 

2. Do you think uninstalling the old version by running "FrmInst.exe /forceuninstall" command and installing the new version will work? Or better to raise a ticket before doing it? 

Attached is the screenshot of the error but it is n another language.

Thanks in advance. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
arnieos
Level 11
Message 8 of 8

Re: Unable to Manually Upgrade McAfee Agent from 5.6.1 to 5.6.6

Jump to solution

Update: We uninstalled Agent using removal tool, rebooted the server, installed Agent, successful. All good! 

View solution in original post

7 Replies
twenden
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 8

Jump to solution

We had an issue happen yesterday on a Windows 2016 server. This server was running an older 5.5 agent and we were unable to upgrade manually also to agent 5.7.1. The sysadmin reported to me that it gave an error when he tried to upgrade.

What fixed the issue for us was to run frminst /remove=agent and then to install the latest agent. The sysadmin reported that this fixed the issue and I could see it was now reporting back to the ePO server.

You may want to try that. 

cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 3 of 8

Jump to solution

I have never seen that error in all the years I have supported this.  Remove=agent will only put it in unmanaged mode if there are other McAfee products installed, such as vse or ens.  I would suggest using forceuninstall, reboot and make sure all remnants are gone before trying to reinstall.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

arnieos
Level 11
Message 4 of 8

Jump to solution

Hi @cdinet, thanks for the reply. Do we need to reboot the server after uninstalling Agent? Reinstalling the Agent without the reboot will probably not work? It is a production server so we need to coordinate to other teams and obtain approval before we can do the reboot. 

cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 8

Jump to solution

Sometimes you don't, but when there are problems with it and a full removal is needed, then yes, I would highly suggest a reboot.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

arnieos
Level 11
Message 6 of 8

Jump to solution

OK. The old version of Agent is still working and communicating properly with ePO so we will try the uninstall without the reboot. If it did not work, we will use removal tool to uninstall it and to make sure all remnants are gone, then reboot and try to reinstall. Will update this post for any development. 

arnieos
Level 11
Message 7 of 8

Jump to solution

Update: We got exactly the same error when trying to uninstall the Agent using the forceuninstall command. We will try to uninstall it using removal tool, we are just obtaining the approval for the downtime of the production server. Will provide an update once available. 

arnieos
Level 11
Message 8 of 8

Jump to solution

Update: We uninstalled Agent using removal tool, rebooted the server, installed Agent, successful. All good! 

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community