cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring system to a specific group on the new server.

I am in the middle of migrating to a new ePO server, everything is setup and system are transferring successfully. There is a group of about 200 laptops that require a specific policy and we need to apply this policy as soon as they're transferred. or else they'll be lock out of VPN until they're physically back to the office. Server task does not make sense in this situation. I tried sorting base on tag, but I notice the Tags are not transferred and Tags criteria don't automatically run when a new system is transfer in. Any suggestion?
5 Replies
Siu
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 6

Re: Transferring system to a specific group on the new server.

Hello, 

You could transfer based on IP address, if they have a specific IP Range. The settings can be found in System Tree > Group Details > Sorting Criteria. 

I cannot think of any other option than this two to quickly move to the right group on first ASC. 

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thank You,

Siushan M.

Thanks for your input, This is likely the direction we'll be taking, however I do see some inconsistency behaviour when there is a conflicting sorting criteria. 

rgc
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 6

First step here, you have to try all the steps as below for one machine to understand how it behaves then you can plan for mass transfer.

1. Once you transfer the system, if the sorting is not working as expected by default it goes to Lost & Found default group.
If all those machines comes udner same domain or workgroup, mostly it will create a sub group in the lost & found for those systems.

If your environment is lucky is going with this way, and those all 200 belongs to same workgroup or domain, and if you test one machine and it is going to sub group under Lost & Found then you have the answer.... assigning the respective policy what you need to be applied to this sub group to get it stop blocking VPN, then you can do the simplest way to move to respective group.

2. If the systems is dumping in Lost & found group without any sub group and if the policy which you want to apply, if that will not hamper other than these 200 machines, if still it got those policies, then you can apply that policy to the lost and found group it self for temporarily to avoid VPN block and then move it.

3. If either one is not suitable for you, then you need to see matching criteria for these systems as Siushan with IP range or particular subnet it self those 200 laptops is coming from.

But mostly this will not help you, since you said it laptops if user connected via VPN and without VPN the ISP providing IP and dynamically assigned ones are very different you have no control for each ISP provide IP's released to systems.

Other than this, since you telling those are from separate group then you may have a common naming like 
System_ABC or  so and so, if that matches you can configure any system starts name as system_XXXX apply the TAG as SYSTEMTAG and assign this TAG to the respective group or also to Lost and found group.

SO, for any circumstances, if it is not moved to respective group, atleast in lost and found it will have the TAG applied to those system_XXX system names.

Then, you can apply policy based on the TAG through Policy Assignment rule page.... and those systems will get this policy.

But all the options is not that easy it depends on the situation and all should be tested with one or two systems with all combinations and see which works for you

Also, under server settings - sorting option, you should enable the sorting for every ASCI for a while, even though it will hamper other systems getting sorted for every ASCI... but since those having no change, so it will not hamper.

Once all good, you revert the sorting at once option in server settings.

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Raghavendra GC - [RGC]

Thanks for taking the time to reply. It have been really helpful. 

rgc
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 6

If you got the answer, you can close the thread, so it helps other to utilize this thread for the transfer systems with the logic to be used... while performing transfer systems.

Was my reply helpful?

Raghavendra GC - [RGC]
You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community