cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Time error

My ePO on premise server was showing a date of 10/30/2027 earlier today (04/26/2019). The server is not on a domain and was set to synchronize with time.windows.com. As some of you can imagine, all my dashboards were totally red. I was able to restore the time and get everything "normal" Did anyone else experience this behavior?

7 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Time error

I hundreds of pieces of equipment set to update time from the National Research Council time server at time.nrc.ca.  On Friday, April 26, 2019, I noticed that a number of sites had the wrong time.  I switched them to time.windows.com and the time updated correctly.  I switched back to time.nrc.ca and the time was wrong again.  I switched them to time.windows.com and left them.  Today I had other sites using time.nrc.ca showing the wrong time.  I switched them to time.windows.com and for a while, I thought that was working.  Around 5:30 GMT-6:00 I noticed that the time was not being updated on sites I changed to time.windows.com.  I switched back to time.nrc.ca and it appeared to be working but after my experience from yesterday, I don't trust it.  I tried time.nist.gov and that appeared to work.  I did a Google search for NTP time issues but couldn't find anything.  Is anyone else having issues with NTP over the past few days?

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 3 of 8

I personally haven't heard of any issues yet, but that is also out of scope for McAfee. 

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Highlighted

Well, it happened again today. Almost exactly one week later, but I caught the drift this afternoon. Now, my OS time is correct, all agents are reporting with correct times, however, server tasks are showing complete in 2027. I opened a case with Support.

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 8

If a task ran while systems were on the wrong time, it would log it in that time, because that is what the event or log wrote at that point in time.  Just because time is changed back on a system, it won't change any existing logging or event data that was sent to the database.  So those will show wrong date.  If new tasks AFTER time was changed back show wrong time, that would be something to look at. 

As for the time changing due to time servers sending bogus times, we have no control over that.  We only report what is sent, when it occurred.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Highlighted

The first time this happened I did assess the OS as the source. However, the two times (since) my Windows 2012 does not report a time drift, but ePO does. At this point, I am not sure of the source, so my ticket will remain open. I am only keeping the thread alive to assist others who may encounter in the future.

ePOonlywhackytime.PNG

Highlighted

I solved the problem. The solution was to correct OS time, manually run all server tasks, and force pull AMC content. Details : when my OS mistakenly jumped to 2027, several of my overnight server tasks recorded this date as the server task "last completed date". The 2027 date met the ePO criteria of "completed in last 1 day" on the server task log and as a result, any task that showed completed in 2027 did not execute. Fortunately, most of my tasks are applying and clearing tags. Unfortunately, this caused me to fall behind on AMC Content for EndPoint Security. The AMC content date was showing as 2027, so I missed several updates. 

The compliance dashboard really helped me isolate the problem, however, I still think McAfee ePO should have recognized the difference in the check in date versus the actual content date.

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 8 of 8

It isn't the fact that epo recognizes any time differences, it only reports data that is sent from a point product.  It has no way to determine that the OS time was not correct.  It is only recording the event that is sent to epo from the client and has no logic in it to manipulate dates or any other data.  If it did, that would not necessarily be a good thing, to manipulate or modify details of an event received from a client.  EPO is only doing/returning what it is told.

Was my reply helpful?

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community