Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
csteels
Level 9
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 10

Suddenly cant log in to epo 4.5 server

Jump to solution

All of a sudden and after making no changes to it, I cannot now log on to my epo 4.5 server and receive the error "You have provided invalid credentials."

Where do I begin troubleshooting this to see what has happened?  I have tried restarting all McAfee services and have restarted the server to see if it would resolve but it is the same.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
csteels
Level 9
Message 3 of 10

Re: Suddenly cant log in to epo 4.5 server

Jump to solution

Hi Joe

I think Ive found the answer as I could see lots of SQL errors in event viewer and seems we've hit the 4GB SQL Express limit.

I've run the commands to clear old events and shrink the database as per this article - https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB53549 and have got it down to 2.8GB so should be good a for a while.

Thankyou for coming back though Joe its appreciated!

Chris

View solution in original post

9 Replies
JoeBidgood
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 10

Jump to solution

Hi...

In the first instance, restart the services and then check the orion.log - see if there are any errors reported.

HTH -

Joe

csteels
Level 9
Message 3 of 10

Jump to solution

Hi Joe

I think Ive found the answer as I could see lots of SQL errors in event viewer and seems we've hit the 4GB SQL Express limit.

I've run the commands to clear old events and shrink the database as per this article - https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB53549 and have got it down to 2.8GB so should be good a for a while.

Thankyou for coming back though Joe its appreciated!

Chris

View solution in original post

JoeBidgood
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 10

Jump to solution

No problem, glad it's OK now

Joe

brentil
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 10

Jump to solution

We ran into the same issue, it was rather boggling at first then I recalled we were running Express and found the same issue.  After this I migrated the DB to a fresh MS-SQL 2008 R2 Express instalation on the same system because 2008 R2 Express increases the data file limit from 4GB to 10GB.

csteels
Level 9
Message 6 of 10

Jump to solution

Hi Brentil

Im having issues upgrading to epo 4.6.1 due to lack of space left in the DB.  Did you find documentation when you migrated your DB to 2008 R2 express as I think that is what I am going to need to do to prevent this from happening every few months.

Thanks

Chris

brentil
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 10

Jump to solution

Migrating to 2008 R2 is pretty simple.  You can install it alongside your other installation and just give it a new Instance name, then shutdown ePO and use the SQL tools to make a backup & restore it on the other system making the needed user accounts then going to the config page (https://epoServer:8443/core/config) and updating the config information.  After you've done this you can update to 4.6.1 with the extra space.

Your other option is to expunge some of your history data in order to shrink the amount of data being used in the ePO database allowing you to upgrade.

csteels
Level 9
Message 8 of 10

Jump to solution

Thanks brentil for the prompt reply, Im going to hold off and do this next Monday when I know I am in the office the following day (just in case!)

Will perform the DB work and then the 4.6 > 4.6.1 upgrade once its running with the 10GB limit

csteels
Level 9
Message 9 of 10

Jump to solution

Is it possible to do an in place upgrade of SQL 2005 Express to 2008 R2 Express or is it better to do the side by side install, then the backup and restore?

brentil
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 10 of 10

Jump to solution

I personally never do in place upgrades as the likelihood of an issue is greatly increased. If you do the side by side install if something goes wrong you don't hose your original install or data. Post migration you can always remove the other copy. However be aware ePO's services are tied to the sql services if you let ePO install it. There's a KB on how to delink them.

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community