Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cgillett
Level 9
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 7

Some tags disappearing after query is run

Jump to solution
Brief: tags applied to a certain group disappear after a simple query is performed. I have 98 endpoints tagged with "VDI" in my system tree, under a sub-category called VDI. The tags apply ok, and show up in my System Tree when viewed. Everything is working up to this point. However, immediately after I run a Server Task to perform a query (which checks out any Unmanaged systems,) the tags disappear and they show up in my report, which I don't want.
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 7

Re: Some tags disappearing after query is run

Jump to solution

I really don't see how a simple query can remove a tag, it just doesn't work like that.  So the question would be then, if you go to that tag and apply the tag based on criteria, does the tag get re-applied?  I would suggest opening a ticket with McAfee, as there is something else that we aren't seeing.  

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

View solution in original post

6 Replies
cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 7

Jump to solution

Are you sure the query isn't pulling a duplicate, unmanaged entry of the system?  

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

cgillett
Level 9
Message 3 of 7

Jump to solution

Hi cdinet, thanks for your reply. I checked the system tree and no duplicates exist elsewhere. 

I even went as far as creating a brand new tag and assigning it to the machines using a criteria. Same thing - it applies the tag, and it stays there until I run my query. The moment the query starts, the tag disappears.

Thanks,

Chris

cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 7

Jump to solution

A query would not change any tagging, it only is a select statement, so something else must be occurring.  How is the tag applied?  Manually or via criteria?  Is the query run via server task and if so, any sub actions?  Does the system appearing as unmanaged occur after an AD sync, or is this system on vpn?  A little more detail might be helpful on exactly what is occurring.  If this is a VDI system, is the agent installed in vdi mode?  Are you running MOVE on those vm's and if so, does this occur when systems are synced with vcenter?

Was my reply helpful?

cgillett
Level 9
Message 5 of 7

Jump to solution

The tag is applied via criteria - anything that starts with "COTVDI" is applied with the "VDI" tag.

The query is run as a Server Task; it performs a sub-task of excluding certain results. I do this because I don't want "VDI" tags in my query results (I'm only looking for physical workstations.) I thought the issue was related to the Exclude Tags sub-task, so I removed the sub-task. Now it doesn't exclude any tags at all. I run the query and the same thing happens - the tags for "VDI" get removed.

There is no agent installed on these machines, not currently running MOVE yet either. 

cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 7

Jump to solution

I really don't see how a simple query can remove a tag, it just doesn't work like that.  So the question would be then, if you go to that tag and apply the tag based on criteria, does the tag get re-applied?  I would suggest opening a ticket with McAfee, as there is something else that we aren't seeing.  

Was my reply helpful?

View solution in original post

cgillett
Level 9
Message 7 of 7

Jump to solution

I've initiated a service request from McAfee. Thanks.

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community