Did you mean: 
Linuxxo
Level 11
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 11

SoftwareManager folder size

Jump to solution

Hi,

I have noticed that the SoftwareManager folder size is over 15 GB in size, which seems a bit excessive. I have noticed that most of the files under each subfolder do not seem to have been accessed for some time. What is the best and safe way to clear old files and folders?

Many Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 10 of 11

Re: SoftwareManager folder size

Jump to solution

Yes, it will be safe to delete them and should not affect master repository in any way.  Just be sure services are off and as always with any changes, full backups.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

View solution in original post

10 Replies
ludaneva
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 11

Jump to solution

Hello,

The recommended way to reduce the size of the SoftwareManager folder size is to remove old version packages and those for Point Products not utilized any longer in your ePO environment, or possible duplicate packages you might have in the different Master Repository Branches (Current, Previous, Evaluation). This can be done via the ePO Console Software Catalog page or directly from the Master Repository page.

Thanks

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?
cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 3 of 11

Jump to solution

All the folders in mine are empty.  What version of epo are you running and patch or update version?  I would suggest turning off the server service temporarily and delete the files in there, then turn back on epo and see if size accumulates or not.  Are any of the recent folders populated or empty or is the bulk of the data older that might have remained before an update or hotfix was installed?

Was my reply helpful?

Linuxxo
Level 11
Message 4 of 11

Jump to solution

Hi Cdinet,

Thanks for your reply, most folders are populated with files, some are a couple of years old. the version of the ePO is 5.9.1 build 251.

cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 11

Jump to solution

I am not sure if any hotfixes resolved issues with software manager or not, but you can delete those files safely.  I would suggest upgrading to 5.10 as soon as you can.  5.9.1 will be end of life soon due to Tomcat version supported with it reaching end of life.

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB93286

Was my reply helpful?

ludaneva
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 11

Jump to solution

Hi Linuxxo,

I must apologies, I have overlooked at the folder name believing it was the Software folder 😞

Most of the SoftwareManager folders are empty, but on my test, for example, I see old Tie, Mar and DXL Broker ISO bundles for different version (nearly 1/2Gb each in size), and it looks as if ISO are not deleted once used. I shall verify with back-end. If are ISO files what you find they can be safely deleted if not needed any longer.

Thanks

Was my reply helpful?
Linuxxo
Level 11
Message 7 of 11

Jump to solution

Hi Ludaneva,

Many thanks for your reply, apologies accepted. I have checked all subfolders and the only file types I could find were zip files, no ISOs to be found.

cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 8 of 11

Jump to solution

When you delete the contents, monitor the size and see if it continues to grow again and let us know status please.

Was my reply helpful?

Linuxxo
Level 11
Message 9 of 11

Jump to solution

Just to confirm, manually deleting subfolders and files from the SoftwareManager folder should not affect the ePO and Master Repository, am I correct? For example, the two subfolders and files listed below from SoftwareManager folder, are all showing  last modified dates from 2017. Will it be safe to permanently delete them?

|___1070
| |___4.6
| EPOAGENT3000_1498.zip
| EPOAGENT3000_2224.zip
|
|___1074
| |___8.8
| 1270_1270.zip
| 27175_27175.zip
| 27176_27176.zip
| VIRUSCAN8800_10832.zip
| VIRUSCAN8800_10833.zip
| VIRUSCAN8800_15490.zip
| VIRUSCAN8800_15491.zip
| VIRUSCAN8800_15492.zip
| VIRUSCAN8800_17183.zip
| VIRUSCAN8800_17184.zip
| VIRUSCAN8800_17185.zip
| VIRUSCAN8800_20328.zip
| VIRUSCAN8800_20329.zip
| VIRUSCAN8800_20330.zip
| VIRUSCAN8800_22699.zip
| VIRUSCAN8800_25243.zip
| VIRUSCAN8800_25244.zip
| VIRUSCAN8800_2561.zip
| VIRUSCAN8800_27171.zip
| VIRUSCAN8800_27174.zip
| VIRUSCAN8800_3685.zip
| VIRUSCAN8800_3687.zip
| VIRUSCAN8800_6595.zip
| VIRUSCAN8800_6598.zip
| VIRUSCAN8800_6623.zip
| VIRUSCAN8800_8394.zip
| VIRUSCAN8800_8399.zip
| VIRUSCAN8800_8404.zip
| VIRUSCANREPORTS_15493.zip
| VIRUSCANREPORTS_17186.zip
| VIRUSCANREPORTS_20331.zip
| VIRUSCANREPORTS_25246.zip
| VIRUSCANREPORTS_27173.zip
| VIRUSCANREPORTS_3688.zip
| VIRUSCANREPORTS_6869.zip
| VIRUSCANREPORTS_8401.zip

cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 10 of 11

Jump to solution

Yes, it will be safe to delete them and should not affect master repository in any way.  Just be sure services are off and as always with any changes, full backups.

Was my reply helpful?

View solution in original post

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community