cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Software Manger: Check-in vs Update

Hi,

I have a hard time understanding the difference between the meaning of the check-in link and and the update link in the Components pane of Software Manager. My current suspicion is that a check-in will merely make the component available on the server and will not be pushed out to clients if you haven't configured your product to auto update that is.

Will update check-in the product as well and push out to all clients that have the product installed?

2 Replies
Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 3

Re: Software Manger: Check-in vs Update

Hello,
Checkin means you are going to check-in that package in the Master Repository.

Update- means you are going to update the existing package which is available in the Master Repository.

Check-in will give you an option for the branches.

clipboard_image_0.png

https://kc.mcafee.com/resources/sites/MCAFEE/content/live/PRODUCT_DOCUMENTATION/26000/PD26914/en_US/...

page 104

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! l Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 3 of 3

Re: Software Manger: Check-in vs Update

To add to that, if you, for example, check in a newer version of the agent and use the update option to overwrite the existing package, then your deployment task will need to be updated to choose the new version. However, since the clients already have that assigned task, when they invoke it, they will pull the package that is in that same branch, so yes, they may get updated. If you check it into a different branch and not overwrite existing package, it will not affect your existing task. Now with patches, such as vse or ens, that is a different story. Refer to KB77063 for how to prevent prematurely deploying patches and other updates.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community