Highlighted
Level 9
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 12

Setup cannot connect to the EPO server with the credentials provided

Upgrading from 5.0.1 (Build 228) to 5.1

Window server 2008 R2 Std SP1 64bit

8GB RAM

Current build has one ePO server and one ePO dedicated SQL server. Both are VM's with the same OS. No authentication issues until this upgrade.

I'm at the window that asks for Administrator Information with 4 fields.

Username:  Tried the db owner SQL account that has a tested simple password unchanged since the previous build AND also tried a few domain admin accounts and the local admin account on the server

Password:

Keystore Encryption Passphrase: Tried a complex password, tried to use the same simple SQL password as our db owner account.

Verify Keystore Encryption Passphrase:

No luck thus far.

Any idea what type of password info it's asking for?

Any suggestions?

This link was unhelpful:

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB77892&impressions=false&act=RATE&actp=search...

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

11 Replies
Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 12

Re: Setup cannot connect to the EPO server with the credentials provided

The username and password pair need to be for an ePO global admin - by default this account is called "admin".

The keystore passphrase is what will be used to encrypt the ePO snapshots that are saved to the DB, so it can be a completely new passphrase. You can also change it later, so for the purposes of the upgrade you can use something simple like "password".

HTH -

Joe

Highlighted
Level 9
Message 3 of 12

Is that the same account that gets configured on the core/config page?

The acct we have there is epo_admin.

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 12

Nope, it's an account that you would log in to the ePO console with - the only important criterion is that it is a global administrator.

HTH -

Joe

Highlighted
Level 9
Message 5 of 12

No luck. The upgrade still fails at the same spot with the same message. It's gotta be a permission issue. I tested with blank passwords and passwords like "admin", but got different failed messages for those attempts that stated no blank passwords and no passwords the same as the username.

The account I logon to the console with as Administrator, but there is no Global Admin option.

I'm on the Users page checking for a Global Admin, but there is no such option.

Manually assigned permissin sets include:

Administrator with a radio button

Selected permission sets with a radio button have:

Executive Reviewer

Global Reviewer

Group Admin

Group Reviewer

No Global Admin option though. Same on the permission sets page.

Is there a page or something I'm missing.

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 12

The "administrator" permission set is the one we want - the terminology changed slightly in ePO 5. Check that your administrator account has the administrator radio button selected, and if so then this account is the one to use during the upgrade.

I'm guessing you've already done this - if so, the upgrade process should generate a number of logs in a McAfeeLogs folder in the logged-on user's temp folder. can you zip up and attach the whole folder - I'm especially interested in the troubleshooting folder and anything it contains.

Thanks -

Joe

Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Hi,

Go to Users in ePO console and make your ePO login Id as Global Administrator by edit your user account. I'll suggest to use password without any special characters and see if it works or not.

Highlighted
Level 10
Message 8 of 12

Hi,

The account already has Global Administrator rights I'm afraid, it just doesn't want to know.

Highlighted
Level 10
Message 9 of 12

Hi, Did you manage to fix this? I have the exact same issue.

I'm 100% the account I am using is correct as this is the one i've used any other time I have done an upgrade.

Pete

Highlighted
Level 10
Message 10 of 12

Well ladies and gentlemen, I believe I have cracked it! 

On mine at least, hopefully one of you can give this a go and let me know if it does indeed work.

I went back to the very start to look at where I might have gone wrong and noticed that when I first created the migration file I accepted the default path to the ePO server (https://localhost:8443), so instead changed local host to the server name. Re-created the migration file and went back to my new server. Now my new server had an agent and virus scan installed and running (during the previous install attempt I just stopped all of the services) so I decided as a secondary step just to completely remove all McAfee products from this server.

Ran the migration import and then setup and it worked first time, no complaints about the username and password.

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community