Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ctcc-dave
Level 9
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 14

Scheduling client tasks around Patch Tuesday

With more McAfee products releasing updates around Super Tuesday, is there a way to schedule client tasks around this date? Specifically I would like to schedule the Saturday or the second Saturday after the second Tuesday.
13 Replies
tao
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 14

Re: Scheduling client tasks around Patch Tuesday

For OnDemand Scan: https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB74059

McAfee strongly recommends that you schedule on-demand scans at these intervals:

Daily - During a major malware outbreak
Weekly - Provides good protection
Monthly - Decent protection, with risk

For DAT file update : https://community.mcafee.com/t5/ePolicy-Orchestrator/DAT-file-deployment-schedule-Best-practices/td-...

Hourly — To run the update on the selected hours.
Daily — To run the update daily at a specific time.
Weekly — To run the update weekly at a specified time on weekdays.
Monthly — To run the update once in a month at a specified time.

So, depending on your requirements - you may want to test weekly or monthly -

If this information was helpful or has answered your question, please select Accept as Solution. This will assist other memebers
ctcc-dave
Level 9
Message 3 of 14

I am specifically looking for a method to deploy or update software tasks on servers around patch Tuesday. 

The first Saturday after patch Tuesday is the third Saturday of the month while next month this would be the second Saturday.

This does not seem to currently fit with the weekly or monthly scheduling options.

Dave

tao
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 14

Question regarding "deploy or update software tasks on servers" - what are you trying to deploy only once a month?

I have DATS go out 24-48, Product updates (patch, hotfix so on) are planned / deployed to a test enviroment first before going into production. 

If this information was helpful or has answered your question, please select Accept as Solution. This will assist other memebers
ctcc-dave
Level 9
Message 5 of 14

Our DATs are updated daily.  The software hotfixes/patches/product updates would be deployed once a month when the servers are rebooted for the Windows Updates schedule.

tao
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 14

Ok, that makes sense - the couple of environments that I've been in - first goes to test; confirm that it doesn't break anything - after that stage has been confirmed/signed off - release with the next DAT update (which are randomized so not to flood the network).

cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 14

Patch Tuesday is typically the 2nd and sometimes 4th tuesday of the month.  You can schedule a once a month update for those the day before your Windows updates would be deployed so as to not interfere with any Windows updates, and so that the systems would not miss the reboot cycle.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

ctcc-dave
Level 9
Message 8 of 14

I have a group of test servers that would run the windows updates the Saturday after patch Tuesday.  Sometimes this is the second Saturday and sometimes it is the third Saturday.   I would like to run the McAfee updates on that Saturday for those test servers. 

There are more servers that would run the windows updates the second Saturday after Patch Tuesday.  These would be scheduled for the McAfee updates at that time.

Within the current scheduling options, I do not see a method to schedule client tasks to meet these time frames.

cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 9 of 14

See screenshot below - you can set up a second task to run on selected systems also on the 4th saturday.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 10 of 14

schedule.png

Was my reply helpful?

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community