cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scheduled Client Tasks Failing to Run

I am new to the ePO administrator realm and I am in need of some help.   I am trying to set up scheduled ODS scans on our systems.  My environment is a mixture of Win 10 workstations, Windows Server 2016 and legacy Windows 2008 R2 servers.  We are able to get scheduled tasks to our 2008R2 servers but it seems that the Win 10 and Server 2016 are not even pulling the tasks that are assigned to them.  I have been using 1 workstation and 1 server 2016 and 1 server 2008R2 as testers.  We realized that we were not able to do any scans with VSE because our patch was too old in the repository and that has been updated.  But it seems that an over arching problem is that the agents do not seem to be pulling the assigned tasks from ePO so nothing happens at the time that those scans are run.  I have tried scheduling tasks for both agent wake-up and ODS but neither seems to invoke anything in the logs on the agents on the server and workstation.  I have looked for the .ini files that are created for scheduled tasks on the clients and nothing shows up and no registry entry is present other than the default.  I can take the same tasks and use "Run client task now" and it runs just fine but if it is a scheduled task it will not run.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.

We are using:

ePO 5.1.1 (yes I know its out date, upgrade is in the works)

VSE 8.8 P11 (both in ePO repo and on clients)

MA 5.0.6

6 Replies
YashT
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 7

Re: Scheduled Client Tasks Failing to Run

Hello @Aggie08185,

It seems that VSE 8.8 patch 11 is only supported till w10 1803 , later version will not work with patch 11, this can be found in KB51111.

Regarding schedule task is not invoking :

check the VSE product guide , from which you will be able to know how if the schedule task is configured properly.

For task not running or invoking, please check if agent is able to communicate with epo.

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! l Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thanks and regards,
Yash T

Yasht,

We are using Win 10 1803.  I upgraded to patch 11 because that was what was already installed on the clients.  I have checked the VSE guide for how to configure the tasks and there is nothing different from what I have been doing.  The agent communicates and pulls Props every 5 minutes on schedule like its suppose to.  But when you look at the logs, nothing shows any tasks being pulled from ePO.  I can send a Agent Wake-up call to any system.  I can create a task and use "Run client task now" but if I set up a scheduled task for a wake up or anything else, nothing happens.  I have set scheduled tasks for minutes after creation/assignment and sent a manual wake-up call to make sure the agent pulls the task but nothing shows in the logs, .ini files, or registry that indicates that the agent every received the task.

LKS
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 7

Hi Aggie08185,

Thank you for providing more detail. Seems like each products are compatible with one another. So i do not see any compatibility issue here. Coming back to the core issue, why do you want to test it on EOL product.

EPO 5.1.1 : 12/31/2017

Agent 5.0.6 : 12/17/2019

Moreover Agent 5.0.6 had multiple known issues among  one of the scheduler issue as well. I would suggest you to try with latest version which is supported to ePO 5.1.1 (incase if you can't upgrade only ePO right now).  Generally Info level log does not write much information in the log files, hence we may not be able to find the solution here.

https://www.mcafee.com/enterprise/en-in/support/product-eol.html 

Was my reply helpful?

If you find this post useful, please give it a Kudos! Also, please don't forget to select "Accept as a Solution" if this reply resolves your query!

LKS,

I am testing it on the 5.1.1 and 5.0.6 because that is what we have at this moment.  I am very well aware of the EOL issues and those are being addressed with our upgrade to 5.10.0 coming soon.  But in the mean time 5.1.1 is our production ePO and its what we have.  I will look up the known issues and see if there is a work-around.

@LKS 

LKS
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 7

In such cases can you atleast upgrade to 5.5.X version and check. 

Was my reply helpful?

If you find this post useful, please give it a Kudos! Also, please don't forget to select "Accept as a Solution" if this reply resolves your query!

cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 7

The agent logs on the client will tell if there are any problems with the agent getting the task.  They are located in the c:\programdata\mcafee\agent\logs directory.  They may be under common framework instead of agent, depending on how the systems were upgraded.  The masvc log would be the one to look at for this.

One of the reasons for requesting at least the agent upgrade, even if just to 5.5.1, is that the 5.0.6 agent has some of the following issues related to tasks.

scheduled task invoke, but don't do anything

scheduled tasks don't even try to invoke

masvc or other processes for the agent show faulting or terminated in the windows system and/or application event logs

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community