Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 5

SQL Express 2008R2 under ePO 4.6 and ways of increasing performance and reducing size

We have recently upgraded from SQL Express 2005 to SQL Express 2008R2. This is to allow us to upgrade from ePO 4.6 to 5.1 in the next few months.

Just wanted to check with people, with more SQL experience, about the way that we currently maintain the database and whether it is the best method.\

Once a Week.

1. Stop all the McAfee services.

2. Run a script via command line with the following parameters

sqlmaint -S VBRHM1A\SQLEXPRESS -D ePO4_VBRHM1A -RebldIdx 15 -UpdOptiStats 15 -RmUnusedSpace 50 10

3. Open up Studio Management Express and select "Shrink Database". This helps reduce the size. We don't check the box to "Reorganize files".

4. Restart SQL & McAfee services.

Someone, I have read that you should not shrink the database.

Does the above look correct?

4 Replies
Highlighted
Level 9
Message 2 of 5

Re: SQL Express 2008R2 under ePO 4.6 and ways of increasing performance and reducing size

a SQL Express with 2200 managed systems???

Best move that to a dedicated SQL for having some performance.

I cannot recall but dont think using the express version is in McAfee Advisory besides small business use or testing.

Amounts of more than 1k are hardly small business.

I cannot therefor help you with the answer on SQL Express; but we do shrink our DB every night in a maintenance task without any issues.

hope this will help you.

Highlighted
Level 10
Message 3 of 5

Re: SQL Express 2008R2 under ePO 4.6 and ways of increasing performance and reducing size

As suggested your best bet is to go to a dedicated SQL server. 2008 R2 Express will limit you to 1 core and 1GB RAM. Shrinking the database can lead to fragmentation of both the indexes and database files. (Note: There are work arounds but you're sucking down I/O to do them) McAfee has two KB articles on the subject. The older recommends shrinking and the newer recommends against. Naturally, if you are bumping up against the max DB file size you may not have a choice but with the upgrade you can have a what 10GB DB. (Not recommended)

Newer KB Article: https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB67184&actp=null&viewlocale=en_US&showDraft=f...

Message was edited by: Slyfin on 2/25/14 1:54:59 PM GMT-05:00
Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 5

Thanks for the replies.

When you say dedicated SQL are you talking about setting up SQL on another server. I was thinking of installing SQL 2008R2 Standard on the actual ePO server. We can up the RAM/Cores as it is running in a VM.

We have just migrated the production ePO server to use SQL Express 2008R2. This seems to a requirement for upgrading ePO from the current 32 bit, 2003 server software to a 64 bit system running Windows 2008R2. We plan on doing the migration is a month or so. I was planning on  then doing a "Edition Upgrade" to upgrade SQL Express 2008R2 to SQL Server 2008R2 on the same server.

We don't have any DBA who using SQL as they use Oracle. so with my limited SQL knowledge it is up to me to decide the best method.

Message was edited by: twenden on 2/25/14 1:18:25 PM CST

Message was edited by: twenden on 2/25/14 1:19:28 PM CST
Highlighted
Level 10
Message 5 of 5

That is up to you but when I read "If managing more than 250 systems, we recommend using a dedicated server." I wouldn't

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community