Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dwee
Level 10
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 26

Restore inactive systems list

Hi all,

i need help to how to restore many systems that got deleted using "clean inactive agent" Task, so when i explained to our customer that we still can get it back when the system active again (total of 14000 system offline due to WFH and covid-19) they don't care, they just want the total number of systems in their epo to remain "a lot" no matter the agent/system is inactive, total 22000 being cleaned 14000, so we miss 8000 inactive systems,

thanks,

Dwee

25 Replies
cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 26

Re: Restore inactive systems list

That might be a little difficult, but if you have a list of the missing systems, you can add them back to system tree by a server task - load systems by file and add to system tree as a secondary action

Otherwise, if the systems were deleted recently, restoring database would do it (both db's if it is 5.10) and then disable that task that deletes inactive agents.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Dwee
Level 10
Message 3 of 26

Hi Cdinet thanks for your reply,

sadly i have not export or save the system list that have been deleted, the only traces left was the server task logs (only mentioned the total amount of deleted systems only not all the info details). i do have DB backups earlier before this case happens but the DB backup and snapshot not synced (epo snapshot task used daily and DB backup i do it manually every end of the month), can we do the procedure restored using these backups? 
note: im using epo 5.10 CU 10 and full sql studio

aguevara
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 26

it looks like the only option then is to restore from back up but those back ups need to match, if there is such big gap between the system files and the DB then the chances for failure during the restore ar high as they are not matching and the information is different

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 26

I don't think you need to do a restore of epo, just restore the databases from before the systems were deleted.  Any events or changes to policies won't be saved, so if any changes were made, you might want to export them as backup so you can re-import the changes.

Was my reply helpful?

Dwee
Level 10
Message 6 of 26

Hi Cdinet,

but the support team that handle my case said "

he checked internally with regards to the request but unfortunately they said they cannot restore the list of the system which were deleted" and also quotes our /this forum messages to the SR update email case, 

so can deleted inactive systems list restore back to epo ? my SR: 4-22158584561

thanks,
Dwee

cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 26

Yes, if you restore the database prior to when they were deleted, then the task hasn't run yet to delete them so they would still exist.

Was my reply helpful?

cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 8 of 26

I believe your support person was under the impression that you didn't have a backup of db from before systems were deleted.  Since you do, at least that is my understanding, yes, you can restore them.

Was my reply helpful?

aguevara
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 9 of 26

before restoring your old database and match it with the current ePO system files it is advisable to back up the current state as per KB66616 as if for any reason you can not restore the DB with the current system files due to mismatch of information then you will end up with a broken ePO 

Was my reply helpful?

Dwee
Level 10
Message 10 of 26

Hi all,

The inactive agent cleaning incident occurred on August 9th, that was 2 days ago, the task was disabled (only activated once at the time of the incident), I've checked the *.BAK file or DB full backup (DB_EPO and DB_epo_EVENTS) and backup the last epo file was on august 3rd (our epo is a cluster installation type), so it has a span of 6 days, is it possible to restore it? I remember that backup was done before troubleshooting our epo on the secondary node, (that was when there was a case that our secondary node had problems and had to re-install the epo, but not on the primary node),

is it still safe to restore it ?

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community