cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

RSD Sensor in a Virtual Environment?

Jump to solution

Hello. I have an environment which utilizes a virtual infrastructure in which the client machines are cloned from a virtual "parent". The parent remains powered off, and the client machines are deleted entirely and regenerated upon user logoff. Is there a way to deploy a rogue sensor to these subnets? What's the best practice? Should I put the sensor on the parent, to be duplicated to each clone, or should I go with the supported-but-not-recommended DHCP option? I have heard a couple of conflicting schools of thought on this. Thanks in advance!

-KOH

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 6

Re: RSD Sensor in a Virtual Environment?

Jump to solution

Definitely do not put it on the parent.  These sound like vdi systems (hopefully the agent on parent is installed in VDI mode).  Since they are non-persistent, what would be the point of RSD discovering them each time they are reimaged?  If you really want that, I would use the dhcp option.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 6

Jump to solution

Definitely do not put it on the parent.  These sound like vdi systems (hopefully the agent on parent is installed in VDI mode).  Since they are non-persistent, what would be the point of RSD discovering them each time they are reimaged?  If you really want that, I would use the dhcp option.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Thanks for the input! Yes, they are non persistent, but the point is coverage for the subnet as a whole, not so much for discovering these machines in particular. These machines are the only things on this particular subnet, so that's why the question arose. How do we cover that subnet, with nought but non persistent hosts? DHCP is definitely the option I was leaning toward, so I appreciate the sanity-check. 

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 6

Jump to solution

As an alternative, you can set up a persistent vm with a sensor just for that purpose.

Was my reply helpful?

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Once you have RSD sensor in VDI scope, you will face another problem. All VDI's will be reported as rough devices. To put them to the exclusion will not help because VDI's do not have permanent MAC add. It is generated . I was fighting with RSD in VDI scope and was not able to find solution.. Because the benefit of RSD for VDI in our environment is very low, I decided to avoid this scope. Why you want to have RSD on VDI endpoints? What kind of violation you expect?,

Thank you,

Lukas

Highlighted

Jump to solution

That's not really the issue, honestly. If you do it right, you can prep the VDI Base image and strip the GUID from the Agent, thus propagating fresh agents which are not alien to the ePO server. 

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community