cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Product deployment task uninstall does not work

Jump to solution

Hello team,

I am trying to uninstall ENS from group of workstations.

I created product deployment task, I selected packages, selected "run at every policy enforcement", "Run immediately" and assigned this task to a container of 59 workstations

I selected uninstall option

Within 24 hours, task worked well on 30 workstations.

There are 29 workstation which didnt uninstall ENS. After 48 hours the same status. It seems the task was executed only once and it probably fails.

I did check masvc log, I can see uninstall task "ENS-Remove-win" was received by workstation, task was invoked and finished successfully. However the log does not show any attempt to remove ENS components like threat prevention, webcontrol, firewall. And It invoked the task only once, not repeatedly. I can see that threat prevention, webcontrol, firewall are still installed.

Masvc log is attached.

1) could anyone explain, why the uninstall task is not deployed more times ? I expect that if first attempt fails, it tries to execute uninstall task also on next asci time. Eventually, repeat the uninstall task until ENS is really uninstalled. Am I wrong ? Could anyone explain please ?

deployment-task-uninstall.png

Thank you.

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 4

Re: Product deployment task uninstall does not work

Jump to solution

'Run Immediately' task will work only once till you edit it and save it. I suggest to schedule the task 'Daily', 'Run once' and repeat the task every hour/two.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 4

Jump to solution

So, I see the screenshot just shows web control. Are you trying to uninstall the products one by one?

If you are trying to uninstall the entire ENS Suite, then you might want to use the ePO Product Remover tool.

Personally, I only use that as a last resort. Here are some helpful uninstall hints.

Remember, the platform has to be uninstalled last. You cannot uninstall the platform first and expect it to work if you still have Threat Prevention or Firewall installed.

If you run a task, and it fails, the client thinks that the task has run, and it will not try to run it again unless you change the task in some way.

When uninstalling individual components, I find that using a later version of the product you wish to uninstall in the task, can make the difference between success and failure.

Once again, if all else fails, use the product removal tool for ePO.

Hope this helps.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

3 Replies
Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 4

Jump to solution

'Run Immediately' task will work only once till you edit it and save it. I suggest to schedule the task 'Daily', 'Run once' and repeat the task every hour/two.

McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 3 of 4

Jump to solution

What version of epo are you running?  As of epo 5.1.1 and the agent 5.0 extension, that option for run at every policy enforcement should not be available.  It is no longer functional if you are running any agent extension greater than 5.0.  The mcscript log is more informational, but more importantly are the ens uninstall logs.  You would see them in windows\temp\mcafeelogs.  For any failed uninstalls, you can always use the endpoint removal tool, which is available on the download page.  That is also deployable through epo, you just have to be very careful where you assign that task so you don't remove from all.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 4

Jump to solution

So, I see the screenshot just shows web control. Are you trying to uninstall the products one by one?

If you are trying to uninstall the entire ENS Suite, then you might want to use the ePO Product Remover tool.

Personally, I only use that as a last resort. Here are some helpful uninstall hints.

Remember, the platform has to be uninstalled last. You cannot uninstall the platform first and expect it to work if you still have Threat Prevention or Firewall installed.

If you run a task, and it fails, the client thinks that the task has run, and it will not try to run it again unless you change the task in some way.

When uninstalling individual components, I find that using a later version of the product you wish to uninstall in the task, can make the difference between success and failure.

Once again, if all else fails, use the product removal tool for ePO.

Hope this helps.

Was my reply helpful?

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community