cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Member
Not applicable
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 14

Problem with “Patches and Service Pack:” section in “Update Now” function of EPO 4.6.6

Hello,

we have the following problem. We are using EPO 4.6.6 build 176 as production and as testing environment. Both environments are configured identical. The EPO agent is on version 4.8 and the VSE is on version 8.8 patch 2. Now I checked in the VSE 8.8 patch 4 as patching and as installer package in “Evaluation Branch” in EPO master repository. I can select “VirusScan Enterprise 8.8.0” in lower “Patches and Service Packs:” section in our EPO 4.6.6 testing environment  if I go to “System Tree” selecting a machine and click on “Update Now”. But I can’t see that point “VirusScan Enterprise 8.8.0” in lower “Patches and Service Packs:” section if I try the same on our EPO 4.6.6 production environment! I only see “Host Intrusion Prevention 8.0.0” and “ePO Agent Key Updater 4.6.0” on our EPO production environment. Why? Where is the point to make that point visible to use that "Update Now" function?

Thanks for answering.

Regards from Germany

Janni

13 Replies
JoeBidgood
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 14

Re: Problem with “Patches and Service Pack:” section in “Update Now” function of EPO 4.6.6

Can you create a directory listing of the ePO install folders for each machine, and attach them here?

Thanks -

Joe

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 3 of 14

Re: Problem with “Patches and Service Pack:” section in “Update Now” function of EPO 4.6.6

Hi,

yes I can but there are more than 2.000 lines in that directory folder name listing! Is that realy needed to analyze that problem?

Regards Janni

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 4 of 14

From you description are you trying to say that your testing environment is different from your production environment.

In which have you missed a step in importing the new VSE and patches?

Have you checked in the correct management extensions and report extensions into your production environment?

also "dir *.* > listing.txt" to get a directory listing isn't that much effort 🙂

Message was edited by: Tristan on 21/03/14 16:14:30 GMT
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 5 of 14

Hi Tristan,

thanks for feedback.. Yes there are two differnt and identical EPO systems on two differnet MS server 2008 running. The VSE patching function is missing on one of them (on production environment). All VSE 8.8 extensions and reports are also identical on both systems. They was checked in with VSE 8.8 patch 2 version on November 2013. Currently are no newer VSE extensions and report extensions available. So they are up-to-date.

But this VSE patching function in "Update Now" was also not visible before checking in the new VSE 8.8 patch 4. Now I checked in this patch 4 and tried to use that possibility for patching. Of corse I can also use a configured Update task for VSE 8.8 patching. This possibility is working fine. But I also will use the "Update Now" possibility for VSE patching because it's much more flexible for "one click patching".

I know the possibilitys regarding the direcectory listing. But as I worte there are more tham 2.000 lines only for directorys without filenames. Do you need directory names of McAfee EPO folders and subfolders without filenames or with filenames included?

My hope was that there is any setting missing on production EPO environment. But it seems that there is an bigger issue regarding that problem. Isn't it?

Thanks and best regards

Janni

Nachricht geändert durch EPO-Janni on 22.03.14 08:52:59 MEZ
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 6 of 14

Hi,

I checked out the following. The configured client task shows the following:

Bild8.JPG

Here you see that "VSE 8.8.0" is available in section "Patches and service packs:" on ePO production environment.

But in "Sytem Tree" - "Update now" on the same ePO production environment is the following visible:

Bild9.JPG

Here is the "VSE 8.8.0" patch and 3 other patches NOT visible and selectable! Why?

The VSE patch 4 installer and update packages including policy and report extensions are checked in.

Best regards

Janni

JoeBidgood
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 14

If you can provide the files I asked for earlier, I can try to help. Otherwise I'd just be guessing.

HTH -

Joe

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 8 of 14

Hi,

OK do you need only directory names listing with or without listing of all filenames for analyzing?

Regards Janni

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 9 of 14

Open up a command prompt to your ePO install folder and run the following

dir /s *.* > c:\dir_list.txt

The /s will recurse through all subdirectories automatically and output the result into the text file

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 10 of 14

Hi,

thanks for information. I know that command. But I asked about the need of whole listing format including all files.

Regards Janni

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community