cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move epo to new server and later version?

Jump to solution

We currently run epo 4.6.1 on server  2008 box. I have created a new box with server 2012 and epo v5.1.0

what would be best best way to move onto this new server. I want to setup the new server from scratch as the previous one wasn't done properly so dont wnt to take over the settings.

If I change the DNS so the old server points to new server will the clients just update agent/av etc ?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Move epo to new server and later version?

Jump to solution

Personally I'd comission the new server, get ePO up, rebuild your system tree after setting up sync settings then redeploy the agents to the endpoints. 

Exporting and importing settings is all well and good, but you may end up spending more time combating niggling little issues from the imported data than you would doing a straight-up clean install.

All the agents will be reinstalled correctly, pointing back at your new server, no legacy handler issues to resolve and no resetting old queries/reporting/scheduling etc. 

May take a morning or afternoon to complete fully, but it'll save you those hours in troubleshootng later. 

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 6

Jump to solution

I don't think so because it will not match the ePO security keys.

Best try to import keys from old ePO and keep same server name and IP address.

Level 11
Message 3 of 6

Jump to solution

Register the new server in the old server (might have it backwards recalling from old memory),  then select the host you want to move and click on action-agent-transfer systems.

I would export and import your system tree unless you want to start from scratch there too.

Jump to solution

Personally I'd comission the new server, get ePO up, rebuild your system tree after setting up sync settings then redeploy the agents to the endpoints. 

Exporting and importing settings is all well and good, but you may end up spending more time combating niggling little issues from the imported data than you would doing a straight-up clean install.

All the agents will be reinstalled correctly, pointing back at your new server, no legacy handler issues to resolve and no resetting old queries/reporting/scheduling etc. 

May take a morning or afternoon to complete fully, but it'll save you those hours in troubleshootng later. 

View solution in original post

Jump to solution

Hi thank you chrisakinika, this sounds like the best approach. I tested on one box and it went fine.

Joe.

Level 11
Message 6 of 6

Jump to solution

a cheat, would be to export the keys from the old server and then import the keys into the new server.  Then in your DNS, map the old ePO Server name to the new ePO Server IP.

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community