cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating & Upgrading ePO

Hi Jay,

I have upgraded ePO from previous versions and have had problems when trying to import Tasks and Policies from a previous ePO version to the version I am upgrading to.

What I have found to overcome this is to upgrade the ePO server I want to move away from then export the Tasks and Policies from that then on my new build of ePO now at the same version I can import Tasks and Policies at the same ePO version only.

When exporting then importing to a different ePO version then I get invalid XML version file not compatible error or I face creating all Tasks and Policies from scratch.

Thanks

8 Replies
Hem
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 9

Re: Migrating & Upgrading ePO

What version of ePO you are exporting from and importing to?

cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 3 of 9

Are the extension versions the same?  You should be able to import from different versions of epo, but you might get that error if extension versions don't match.  Those are what define all the fields and tables the data should go into.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

I have an existing ePO Server at 5.9.1, I am planning to build a new ePO Server for another environment at the latest available at this time of writing ePO 5.10.0 LR4 Update 5.

My client versions are at ENS 10.6.1.1724, TP 10.6.1.1777, Firewall 10.6.1.1394, DLP 11.3.2.82.

MA 5.6.2.209, Extensions are latest available for these product versions.

What I want to do is build a new ePO for another environment then from the old ePO export client tasks and all policies then import them into the new ePO then assign tasks and policies.

I am going to use the same product versions as above once the new ePO is built the previous ePO will be decommissioned.

I guess away to do this is build the new ePO at 5.9.1 so all is the same throughout export/import then upgrade it to 5.10.0 LR4 Update 5 or upgrade the existing to 5.10.0 LR4 Update 5 then build the new at ePO 5.10.0 LR4 Update 5 then I am exporting and importing at the same versions of everything

Thanks

LKS
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 9

Hi Antonio_A,

If you would like to transfer clients to the newly build ePO, then upgrading existing ePO and then migration would be kind of tedious job. Why don't you perform system transfer from old EPO to new EPO. The below article will walk you through the process. 

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB79283

Was my reply helpful?

If you find this post useful, please give it a Kudos! Also, please don't forget to select "Accept as a Solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Hi,

Thanks for your reply but this is not what I am trying to achieve.

1. Existing ePO in existing isolated network environment.

2. New ePO in new isolated network environment so can't register ePO's together to transfer Agents.

I just want to export all policies and tasks from old ePO 5.9.1 and transfer *.XML files into new environment ePO 5.10 LR4 Update 5 and import them and assign them in the System Tree will be setup the same but when I have exported policies and tasks from 1 version of ePO then import them into another ePO at another version in the past then the files fail to import with an XML non compatible error as I did not want to re-create all policies and tasks from scratch to build the new ePO in the new isolated environment.

So what I am trying to find out is why exporting and importing policies and tasks from different ePO versions does not work ?

cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 9

Normally it does work with different versions.  There could be other things going on, such as different sql server and database collations, etc.  It may also be because epo 5.10 has different database structure, but that really shouldn't be that much of a problem.  As a test, I exported my VSE policies from 5.9.1 and imported them into 5.10 and was able to with no problem at all.  Do you get that with all products, or some?  

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Hi,

I have not started yet but wanted to get the heads up before I start.

The products I am using below in the existing ePO 5.9.1 I want to export policies and tasks from to import into the new 5.10. LR4 Update 5.

The policies are very big it would be great if I can just import them without issue I remember when doing this before between different ePO versions I had the make the ePO's the same version before I could export and import successfully it took weeks to re-create all policies and tasks manually. 

Agent 5.6.2.209

ENS 10.6.1.1724

Firewall 10.6.1.1394

TP 10.6.1.1777

DLP 11.3.2.82

Thanks

cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 9 of 9

As I tested with vse policies, you should be able to do this between versions as long as your extensions are the same.  Different collations on the sql server and / or database could, however, make a difference.  it is something to check.  To check that, you would go to properties of the 2 epo databases, as well as the sql server registration to make sure they all match both versions of epo.

Was my reply helpful?

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community