Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jwoodmls
Level 10
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 7

Migrate ePO database 5.9.1

Jump to solution

So I seem to have a bit of a "chicken and egg" issue with needing to migrate my ePO DB to a new SQL server.  My current ePO version is 5.9.1, and SQL version is 2008 (r2 I believe).  I want to migrate my database to a new SQL server, 2019, but according to KB51569, 5.9.1 is not compatible with Server 2019; however I believe that ePO 5.10 is not compatible with SQL 2008.  So how do I move to the new SQL server?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 7

Re: Migrate ePO database 5.9.1

Jump to solution

That is exactly what I am saying since 2019 sql isn't supported with 5.9.1.  However, that doesn't mean it wouldn't work as a very temporary migration.  As long as you have proper backups, you can test moving the database to 2019 sql with 5.9.1, then if it doesn't fail, do the upgrade.  Obviously, the safest, supported way is to migrate in steps, but the most likely scenario is that 2019 hasn't really been tested with 5.9.1.  So technically, it may or may not work as temporary functionality, as long as you upgrade epo right away.  

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

View solution in original post

6 Replies
cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 7

Jump to solution

Some questions first.

What OS is epo on and sql?  For sql (if on separate server than epo), the version of OS doesn't matter, it is the supported version of sql that is the issue.  For that, you will need to do a stepped migration - move the database to an sql version that is supported by both versions first, then once upgraded to 5.10, upgrade sql version to 2019.

If the epo server is on Windows 2008 R2, it is supported for both versions of epo as long as it is R2, SP1 minimum.  So the version of epo can be upgraded regardless of the OS.  It can then be migrated to a different server where OS is 2019 after upgrade to 5.10.

Also, just for fyi, If you want to upgrade the OS, it is not recommended on an epo server - you would need to uninstall epo first, then restore it via snapshot recovery task.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

jwoodmls
Level 10
Message 3 of 7

Jump to solution

So both the epo and SQL Server (currently) are on an OS of Server 2012 R2 - 2 separate servers.  My new SQL Server 2019 is on Server 2019.

My existing SQL server version is Sql Server 2008 R2.

Ultimately what I would like to do is migrate my DB to my new SQL server.  After that, I would not mind also migrating my ePO off of Server 2012 R2 onto Server 2019.

It sounds to me like you are saying that the only way to do this is migrate the DB to some in between version of SQL, if I have it (such as SQL Server 2012), then update my ePO to 5.10, then migrate my DB again to the Sql Server 2019??

cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 7

Jump to solution

That is exactly what I am saying since 2019 sql isn't supported with 5.9.1.  However, that doesn't mean it wouldn't work as a very temporary migration.  As long as you have proper backups, you can test moving the database to 2019 sql with 5.9.1, then if it doesn't fail, do the upgrade.  Obviously, the safest, supported way is to migrate in steps, but the most likely scenario is that 2019 hasn't really been tested with 5.9.1.  So technically, it may or may not work as temporary functionality, as long as you upgrade epo right away.  

Was my reply helpful?

View solution in original post

jwoodmls
Level 10
Message 5 of 7

Jump to solution

Okay.  Well technically I do have a SQL server 2012 as well.  It's running a few other things, so I don't want it to be a permanent resting place, but since at the moment it is not getting much use, I suppose I could use it as a stepping stone.

jwoodmls
Level 10
Message 6 of 7

Jump to solution

Just as a followup, your suggested actions seemed to work well.  I first migrated to my SQL Server 2012, then upgraded ePO to 5.10, and today I migrated my DB to SQL Server 2019 and all seems to be working well.

cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 7

Jump to solution

So glad they worked!  Please mark what solved as solution.

Was my reply helpful?

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community